HELP ME PLEASE!? Kicker L7 making "Rattling sound"

alright guys im not a dumb as u think but i was putting these old *** 2 12" Hella-Beats in the car and when i put the box down pretty hard.. =/ but any ways i herd that rattling lol..... i looked under the mat and the ******* spare was like halfway off lol... but she went to the college when she gets back ill put the kicker back in and se if that solved the problm lol...

if you ran it freeair ( no box ) and it made the sound tilted on its side ( 1 of the possible ways it could be mounted in an enclosure fyi.. ) there is a very good chance it is the coil former and is FUBAR...

as far as the 6 month crap they are full of it...

they recently changed their warranty on kicker from 12 months to 6 months to now 30 days.... they buy from my distributor...

regardless, even Kicker does not warranty the issue and they have known about it for over 12 years and just keep on making and selling them and ripping people off...

that is the biggest reason I left Kicker...**** poor customer service and a meaningless warranty..

Okay so that was the problem she sounds perfect now. Thanks once again too all the help i have gotten here i will most deff be staying around these parts. ya hear. lol. any one have any tips/tricks they would like to share? maybe tuning tips or idk lol

watch for low frequency excursion, especially if the surround is worn. if it bottoms out, the coil former can deform and rub. if it starts bottoming (you will hear a tapping @ highest excursion) use the sub-sonic filter on the amp. set the lpf @ 100, and don't feed it distortion from the deck

what do you mean lol? and what is the sub sonic filter? and how do i not feed it distortion from the deck?

watch for low frequency excursion, especially if the surround is worn. if it bottoms out, the coil former can deform and rub. if it starts bottoming (you will hear a tapping @ highest excursion) use the sub-sonic filter on the amp. set the lpf @ 100, and don't feed it distortion from the deck

well, when it plays deep bass, the cone will move alot more than other notes, typically, and, depending on the tuning of the box, the sub, and wear, it can go beyond it's limits and the coil former(basically the sleeve that attatches the cone and coil, and moves around on the magnet) can hit bottom (the back of the magnet) many amps have some sort of sub-sonic filter. what this does, is turns down the deeper bass at certain settings/frequencies, so that it doesn't push the sub too far. feeding distortion is basically what happens when you turn the bass up on the deck, and crank it. your mids/highs will start to distort and sound like poo......well, even with the amp turned down, you are sending the same crappy signal to the sub amp and it will play what is called a "cllipped signal" aside from it not sounding good, what it does is basically keeps the sub powered longer than the rest/return periods in the sound wave. simply, the sub moves less, but generates more heat.

so basically, if your deck sounds like crap, adjust the settings, and don't let the sub bottom out.

adjust the settins on m deck? and i dont think m amp has that just X-over,Bass boost,Gain

well, when it plays deep bass, the cone will move alot more than other notes, typically, and, depending on the tuning of the box, the sub, and wear, it can go beyond it's limits and the coil former(basically the sleeve that attatches the cone and coil, and moves around on the magnet) can hit bottom (the back of the magnet) many amps have some sort of sub-sonic filter. what this does, is turns down the deeper bass at certain settings/frequencies, so that it doesn't push the sub too far. feeding distortion is basically what happens when you turn the bass up on the deck, and crank it. your mids/highs will start to distort and sound like poo......well, even with the amp turned down, you are sending the same crappy signal to the sub amp and it will play what is called a "cllipped signal" aside from it not sounding good, what it does is basically keeps the sub powered longer than the rest/return periods in the sound wave. simply, the sub moves less, but generates more heat.

so basically, if your deck sounds like crap, adjust the settings, and don't let the sub bottom out.

what amp do you have?

all amplifiers have some form of crossover these days... not all have subsonic tho...

and if you look in the manual Kicker requires a SS filter to be used... thats because they know their subs are garbage lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.