Help with amp wiring 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Participant count
  • Participant list

Basshead1984

IA
I got a new amp today, kicker dx 250.1 to power my diamond audio 12" sub. I was looking for places in my car to run the wires to the back of the trunk and I couldn't find a spot to run the power wire through hte firewall and I don't wanna run it around the door opening. I also couldn't find a spot behind the rear seats to get the power wire, rca's, remote turn on to the back of the trunk. It seemed some kinda cardboard or foam was blocking the wires from getting to the rear of the trunk when I was in the backseats feeling around near where the seats belts were. Should I get myself deep into the back of my trunk tomorrow and poke around near the bottom seat with a screwdriver to find a hole to run the wires through becauase everything seams really sealed up back there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I got a new amp today, kicker dx 250.1 to power my diamond audio 12" sub. I was looking for places in my car to run the wires to the back of the trunk and I couldn't find a spot to run the power wire through hte firewall and I don't wanna run it around the door opening. I also couldn't find a spot behind the rear seats to get the power wire, rca's, remote turn on to the back of the trunk. It seemed some kinda cardboard or foam was blocking the wires from getting to the rear of the trunk when I was in the backseats feeling around near where the seats belts were. Should I get myself deep into the back of my trunk tomorrow and poke around near the bottom seat with a screwdriver to find a hole to run the wires through becauase everything seams really sealed up back there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have no experience with your particular car. I too had a near impenetrable firewall and what my mechanic friend suggested was running the wires above the driver's side wheel well and into the car, then from there along the edges of the floor under the paneling and pillars. Once I got to the back I had to take the seat out - the bottom cushion, the backs, and the side parts and ran it from the edge of the interior up over the bottom of the seat (but under and behind the cushion) and into the trunk. You might have to do a bit of modification. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow so you can get a better idea.

Is your sub a d4? It's best to take as much out of the car as possible, seats, flooring, panels.....
I don't exactly know the model name and year made. I'll have to take the sub out of the box to see what model it is. I got the sub with the box off some guy near me off craigslist for a good cheap deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experience with your particular car. I too had a near impenetrable firewall and what my mechanic friend suggested was running the wires above the driver's side wheel well and into the car, then from there along the edges of the floor under the paneling and pillars. Once I got to the back I had to take the seat out - the bottom cushion, the backs, and the side parts and ran it from the edge of the interior up over the bottom of the seat (but under and behind the cushion) and into the trunk. You might have to do a bit of modification. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow so you can get a better idea.
Yeah I was looking for a grommet or soemthing to push the power wire through but I looked in the back of my cars engine and couldn't find any wires really unless the grommets were like the bottom of my feet if I'd be sitting in the drivers seat. If you could get some pictures uploaded and posted to my thread that'd be nice. It'd give me some ideas of what I'm needing to do. I already figured out how to remove the back seat cushions. THere was a ring plastic bracket thing I pulled out while lifting the seat off.

My battery for my car is also on the right side and I might not havae enough feet of power wire to run it from the left side. If I did I'd have to use some plastic covering and route it around the engine part and kinda tuck the wire in the grooves as it's led to the battery on the passenger side. The power wire in the kit I bought is 8 gauge and has a huge 50 amp fuse.

My 99 Buick is probably similar to your Olds. I ran the power wire under the car in flexible conduit and up through a grommeted hole in the floorboard under the rear seat. Tied the cable to brake lines and other metal things with tie wraps and used a few nylon cable clamps screwed to the frame.

I was finally able to get the backseat panels loosened somewhat and the seat cushions lifted so the power wire and rca and remote turn on could get through and be hidden. I found out the backseat was attached by 2 metal brackets that looked like -/ and I pulled those out to be able to find a little hole under the rear deck on each side and ran the power wire on the right side and through the hole in the rear deck which was around only an inch but the wires got to the trunk and it was the only hole I could find back there. I also ran the rcas and remote turn on on the other side. I then grounded the amp in the trunk and scraped away paint under rear deck and found a decent ground spot and the amp turned on and stayed on. I had run the power wire around the passenger door and through the hood gap and to the battery for now. I still can't find a hole to run the power wire through the firewall ugh

I was finally able to get the backseat panels loosened somewhat and the seat cushions lifted so the power wire and rca and remote turn on could get through and be hidden. I found out the backseat was attached by 2 metal brackets that looked like -/ and I pulled those out to be able to find a little hole under the rear deck on each side and ran the power wire on the right side and through the hole in the rear deck which was around only an inch but the wires got to the trunk and it was the only hole I could find back there. I also ran the rcas and remote turn on on the other side. I then grounded the amp in the trunk and scraped away paint under rear deck and found a decent ground spot and the amp turned on and stayed on. I had run the power wire around the passenger door and through the hood gap and to the battery for now. I still can't find a hole to run the power wire through the firewall ugh
Make sure those power wires are clear from any metal brackets man. You can buy a grommet setup and a hole saw and make a hole through the firewall yourself too.

when I used to own a 1998 GL model way back in the day...I also ran the 4 ga. amp wire under the car... used that flexible conduit from Home Depot... drilled a hole in the trunk driver side, and ran the wire straight into the trunk. It's just too hard to run large gauge wire in these older GM cars, when GM really tried hard to keep up with the imports. I didn't trust the plastic fitting back into place... clips would break too easily..

Try and look in the engine compartment I have an alero and mine is pretty low. It's easier to find from the engine side sometimes. There is ALWAY going to be a hole there for the fuse box depending on what side your box is on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.