Help with my first system.

T.I.K.
10+ year member

F*ck it, we'll do it live
Michigan
I am wondering, I want good bass, but I am very undecided as to the set up and configuration of the subs and the box.

At first, before I knew much of anything about subs, I was just considering two 12" subs in a ported box. Then I learned more and then I considered a single 15" sub in a ported box, after even more research, I though a 15" in a sealed box would be good for what I wanted. But I'm just really conflicted now. I'm hoping you can help me with my dilemma.

My system at the moment (Premium Sound Package) hits the higher bass pretty well, but it's still just stock speakers, and I suspect in tandem with a good sub setup they're be great, but it starts dropping of fast as the notes get lower, so I'm really looking for something to hit mid-low notes loud and accurately. As far as how loud the system has to be, I love the feeling of the bass making your entire body vibrate, I don't want to do hair tricks on someone with a buzz cut, and I don't want to annoy everyone in a 5 block radius, but like I said, I want to "feel" the bass.

By the way, looking very heavily at kicker products for their affordability and their stellar customer reviews. I will mostly be playing rap with this system if that helps at all. I drive an 01 Ford Explorer.

Can you build a box yourself? If so, something can be done with that budget although I'd recommend waiting and saving. If you can't build, you're gonna have to cut the quality of the product and have one built or go prefab sealed, both of which are limiting.

buy used off the forum, u will save a lot of money, and get a lot better products
For convenience sake, I'd prefer to simply order all parts from the same place just to stream line the process. Like I said I can probably get help from my father in box construction, so all I've really got to worry about is sub/subs and an amp.

save up a little more money, and go with a pair of sundown audio sa12s, and a sax1200. can get em directly from jacob at sundown and they are great products, not too expensive, and the customer support is awesome

save up a little more money, and go with a pair of sundown audio sa12s, and a sax1200. can get em directly from jacob at sundown and they are great products, not too expensive, and the customer support is awesome
I have to pay 150 dollar car payments, 280 dollar insurance payments, and my vehicle gets 18 MPG, I have to be hooked up and playing for less than 500, I can't pay 500 dollars just for my subs. Thanks for your help though

@ subdicted: it needs to be 500> including wiring, amp, and sub/subs.

box can/will be made custom

If I were you I would go with a pair of re audio se's 12"s not the best but really good for the price.. Better than kicker. Lol

You can get a pair for under 350-300

Hmmm sounds like you need to go ported. Sealed wouldn't give you quite the output you'd want. If you want to just add good bass you could honestly buy a nice 10" or 12" and do a ported box. I would take other brands over Kicker.

If I were you I would go with a pair of re audio se's 12"s not the best but really good for the price.. Better than kicker. LolYou can get a pair for under 350-300
Could I get away with a single 15" sub instead of 2 12's. or are two twelves worth the the price?

@Buck

how much power would I need to power a single 15" sub in a sealed box?

Well 12's will give you more output an range in a ported box... An well worth the extra 100bucks that you can spend..

An like buck said sealed won't be loud enough unless you have a larger amp to power them.

Ported will give you more output with less power, so that you don't have spend more money for larger amp..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.