How much better is Alpine then Pioneer? SQ Wise

604Bronco
10+ year member

Im looking at the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP. Looks like a good combo of looks/function and sound quality

then I look at the alpines. according to the installers have better SQ then pioneer due to better internals.. but the problem is they are so FUGLY. I mean the $300 deck they have right now has like one line of huge text, it looks like its from the 80's. I understand they are function over form but it looked too ghetto. My friend has a 9847 which looks awesome so im gonna try to get one on ebay but if not should I just get a pioneer?

i replaced my old alpine cda-7837 for a 480mp and i can tell you alpine had MUCH better SQ, even being a lousy cd player from 1997 against a complete mp3/wma player from this year...

i love alpine... i wish i could have a 9815 again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I have the Pioneer 6800............. It's an OK deck, however it does not even come close to an Alpine I had a couple years ago (UK spec CDA-7893 I only sold it as I left the country). The main reason I got the Pioneer was because of how bad Alpine's 06 line is.

There are definitely days I wish I had picked up a used Alpine.

Keep it old school 7xxx series or go Eclipse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

But, to answer your question: not much/it depends.

I have the Pioneer 6800............. It's an OK deck, however it does not even come close to an Alpine I had a couple years ago (UK spec CDA-7893 I only sold it as I left the country). The main reason I got the Pioneer was because of how bad Alpine's 06 line is.
There are definitely days I wish I had picked up a used Alpine.
never really cared for the 6800. Should have got a better 1

If you're talking '06 models, then Pioneer beats Alpine, by a large margin. Alpine took out the SQ functions like Active Crossovers, Time Alignment, etc. in favor of better iPod controls. I wanted something that could run active, for less than $300. I ended up with an Alpine 9855 I bought on clearance. A 880PRS was quite a bit more, otherwise I would have went for a Pioneer. Main reason I went with Alpine was I wanted something different. I've had Pioneer Premiers for about the past 10 years or so. Alpine and Sony ES before that.

I really wish they would stop with the colorific displays, iPod controls, etc. At least they went back to volume knobs.

I want my CD player to actually play music. What happened to that?? At least I can turn off the animations on my Alpine. And even turn the screen off completely.

go for the 7800 mp. It is a very nice unit. Lots of functions. Crossover, eq, time alignment. I've got an alpine cda-7998 I would get rid of for the right price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you're talking '06 models, then Pioneer beats Alpine, by a large margin. Alpine took out the SQ functions like Active Crossovers, Time Alignment, etc. in favor of better iPod controls. I wanted something that could run active, for less than $300. I ended up with an Alpine 9855 I bought on clearance. A 880PRS was quite a bit more, otherwise I would have went for a Pioneer. Main reason I went with Alpine was I wanted something different. I've had Pioneer Premiers for about the past 10 years or so. Alpine and Sony ES before that.
I really wish they would stop with the colorific displays, iPod controls, etc. At least they went back to volume knobs.

I want my CD player to actually play music. What happened to that?? At least I can turn off the animations on my Alpine. And even turn the screen off completely.

You can turn the display off on a Pioneer 880.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.