How much does a Good HU make a difference?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bass4Days
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a decent Pioneer was around $200 bucks Like 4 or 5 years ago. has always worked fine never had a problem getting loud with it. Have had alot of diff decent setups on this. My question is if I spend the dough and get a nice HU Is there going to be a big difference? And what would the differences be? Maybe some HU suggestions? Thanks

Selecting a headunit is about matching your needs/wants to the best HU for the money........

What do you want out of your system?

Do you want LOUD or do you want best signal quality?

What is your preference in HU controls? Do you prefer touchscreen, or knobs & buttons.

Do you need hands-free calling? Bluetooth streaming? USB port?, etc.....

What is your budget?

Selecting a headunit is about matching your needs/wants to the best HU for the money........What do you want out of your system?

Do you want LOUD or do you want best signal quality?

What is your preference in HU controls? Do you prefer touchscreen, or knobs & buttons.

Do you need hands-free calling? Bluetooth streaming? USB port?, etc.....

What is your budget?
I always want the best quality I can buy I believe you get what you pay for. So whatever the price is if the performance is there I will save up. I like Loud but I also like clean. I care about my bass pry more than my highs but i still care about my highs. I just want to know if i go out and spend $350 on a good HU will I hear a difference worth $350 bucks? Not looking for a touch screen. Iv always heard Alpines are nice

around $200 bucks Like 4 or 5 years ago.
If you're itchin to buy a newer deck depends on needs like said above.biggest differences from 4-5 years ago would probaly be only audio aux inputs,bluetooth,digital analog converters.etc.the same $200 now will definitely get a better deck.

If you're itchin to buy a newer deck depends on needs like said above.biggest differences from 4-5 years ago would probaly be only audio aux inputs,bluetooth,digital analog converters.etc.the same $200 now will definitely get a better deck.
Yea better technology for sure. But Im not worried about bluetooth and wireless ****. Im worried about controls and settings. Will it make my highs cleaner and louder as my subs cleaner and louder too. Will having a better deck give my speaker more control because of a better signals maybe more accurate bass?

IMO technology has come so far with source units, apart from processing power and features you're really not getting a ton more for the extra money. Newer units will likely have better integration for I-phone and such but really you'd have to really cheap out before a source unit sounded bad.

Look at the 80prs for example, they can be had for under 300$ and that's a very powerful unit (as far as processing options).

just get a 80prs
IMO technology has come so far with source units, apart from processing power and features you're really not getting a ton more for the extra money. Newer units will likely have better integration for I-phone and such but really you'd have to really cheap out before a source unit sounded bad.
Look at the 80prs for example, they can be had for under 300$ and that's a very powerful unit (as far as processing options).
There is also still the Alpine CDA-9887 thats a viable cheaper option that is on par with the 80PRS. Chances of finding one new are slim to none though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.