how to go 14 volt 2008 f150?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well as the title implies I am trying to figure out if I can controll my alternator to run 14 volt system. I have a 2008 f150 4.6. It is computer controlled. Does anyone know how to get around this? Will an external regulator work on it? Do I need to change to a non computer controlled alternator? Are there parts that can be changed in the stock alternator to allow an external regulator to work? Any help would be appreciated.

no they dont.

all cars/truck are 12 volt systems. when running they are around 14.4volts.

and no you cant change your system. and you dont need to change it.

do you know if the electronics system will accept a 14v system, will they take 16.5volts? if so it is easy, otherwise you can get a adjustable voltage alt, use an isolator run one side to the 14v batts for the system, and the other side through a voltage reducer (powermaster or XS 993) it will reduce the voltage by ~2.5volts to run your vehicle.

Budget is ~$1k minimum

the vehichle electronics should be ok with the extra juice, what I cant figure out is a way around the fact that the computer controls the voltage output of the alternator so I don't know if I can just hook up an ext. reg.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.