How's it lookin' ? First box

Montana

Banned
So, I love the car audio gig, just getting into it, so I figured I'd start learning to build boxes, this is my first one ever, so how does it appear to be going?

View attachment 26536155View attachment 26536156View attachment 26536157View attachment 26536158

The box is 40 Inch wide, 22 deep, 12.5 high, 6 inch port.

Looking for 4.2 cubes tuned at 35Hz

Today I am going to sand it down, round the corners inside, lay in some corner "V" pieces so the inside is rounded, and look into fiberglass. I painted a small piece of scrap with some fiberglass resin waiting for it to dry to see how it feels. Going to read up on figerglassing, or other methods.

One big thing I don't know yet, do I put the subs on top, or front? I was thinking on top; I feel like air would get pushed around better because it's not getting pushed into the back wall then has to escape, its just down and out if it's on top. Or do I want air to stay inside for longer

Edit: Only one bad cut I managed to leave .75 too much on the far left side, going to just power sand it away once I start sanding. :p

I'd suggest sanding the wood glue down to smooth surfaces but only because there does not seem to be any method of standard application,

and possibly consider adding some 45's...

Well, here's the thing about where to mount the sub - what kind of vehicle is it going in? Also, I wouldn't bother rounding corners unless you're going to be competing in SPL and are trying to get tenths on the meter.

Well, here's the thing about where to mount the sub - what kind of vehicle is it going in? Also, I wouldn't bother rounding corners unless you're going to be competing in SPL and are trying to get tenths on the meter.
Oh, I didn't know it made that little of a jump, I won't bother then. I'll just do a real good sanding job.

Lincoln LS - Sedan

I'd suggest sanding the wood glue down to smooth surfaces but only because there does not seem to be any method of standard application,

and possibly consider adding some 45's...
I mentioned both of those things that I am doing today in my topic starter. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Ummm what's with the port didn't want to make a nice L slot port it may cause some issues how it is now.
I felt like a "L" port would possibly go weak after some time, with the air from the left sub being blasted up against it every hit, this way little port MDF get's hit by air straight on, hopefully making it last.

Bad idea?

I felt like a "L" port would possibly go weak after some time, with the air from the left sub being blasted up against it every hit, this way little port MDF get's hit by air straight on, hopefully making it last.

Bad idea?
Its not gonna hurt it.

the design is called a compression design,these types are for usually lower powered systems that you wanna get loud or smaller subs to get a little deeper bass .put the 45's in all the corners ,and you might wanna put the sub on the same side as the port and as far away from it as you can .

the design is called a compression design,these types are for usually lower powered systems that you wanna get loud or smaller subs to get a little deeper bass .put the 45's in all the corners ,and you might wanna put the sub on the same side as the port and as far away from it as you can .
I put the two 12s on top, the deed has already been done. I had fun building it, so I can just do another if need be.

What do you mean on the same side as the port and far away as possible, that doesn't make sense. :p

Gonna fire it up today after work, I'll post results! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Top is screwed on and Nails is drying, BOO-YAH

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.