I don't know #%$ about box building. BUT need help. Orlando, FL...

Participant count
  • Participant list

love car audio
10+ year member

orlando
First, are there any box builders here in Orlando? I am on a budget so I don't need something crazy, just loud! =) Well and so it won't slide around.

Vehicle VW Touareg.

Sub, new Memphis MOJO 15 Dual 4 ohm (I know, not thrilled either)

Currently Just a JL 1000/1 but obviously needing more power.

Not sure if I want ported or sealed. Why? Well, I have ALWAYS love sealed boxes. I play everything from Jazz to bass.. so I need various frequencies..

I am sure I left something out, again I am not an installer so feel free to ask. I need some boom! It's been 5 months and I am going through withdraws.

First, are there any box builders here in Orlando? I am on a budget so I don't need something crazy, just loud! =) Well and so it won't slide around.
Vehicle VW Touareg.

Sub, new Memphis MOJO 15 Dual 4 ohm (I know, not thrilled either)

Currently Just a JL 1000/1 but obviously needing more power.

Not sure if I want ported or sealed. Why? Well, I have ALWAYS love sealed boxes. I play everything from Jazz to bass.. so I need various frequencies..

I am sure I left something out, again I am not an installer so feel free to ask. I need some boom! It's been 5 months and I am going through withdraws.
Well it seems like you wanna get louder. You can easily increase SPL by going ported. I take it you haven't actually heard a properly designed ported box. Sealed boxes can sound good but it can sound better in a ported in most cases if designed right. The only thing is you have to sacrifice more space compared to sealed. Good thing about going ported is it's more efficient with power. You can get loud easily with your JL 1000 just by building the right box. As a start, I would make the box atleast 3.5 cu ft after sub and port displacement. Tune it to around 30-33 for daily. Lower tuning for more low end extension and flatter response (Will have a broader range and be able to play more genres). Higher tuning for more SPL, more peaky, less low end. To really understand what curve you'll be getting, download Winisd for free and you can see visually how it's gonna perform even before building it. Look up tutorials if you don't know how to use it.

That 1000/1 will run it just fine but I would go up to 5 cubes with the box. The way those amps work they actually produce more power longer unlike others that suffer from imp rise and voltage. They are very hard on electrical to do this though. Can't have your cake and eat it to

That 1000/1 will run it just fine but I would go up to 5 cubes with the box. The way those amps work they actually produce more power longer unlike others that suffer from imp rise and voltage. They are very hard on electrical to do this though. Can't have your cake and eat it to
I have found that out! ***** *** because they don't make an aftermarket alternator (not even mechman) that will go on there. Bosch alternators bleh! So I am stuck with 140amp and a 1400 kinetik currently.

What I keep hearing from a lot of installers is the sub requires 2500rms.. and under powering the sub will kill it just like pumping it with distortion. I don't see this as me playing it at low volume to me is the same thing? I dunno, I am ignorant to all of this.

I have heard loud ported boxes. Some that sounded phenomenal! However most of them dropped off heavily on many frequencies. I play such a diverse amount of music that I want to be able to cover it all... This is why I have stuck with sealed and pushed more power... And I am limited on space in the back of the suv... probably 4 4.5 cube at max... again, would need someone to build something. I am not good with all of the details...

I have found that out! ***** *** because they don't make an aftermarket alternator (not even mechman) that will go on there. Bosch alternators bleh! So I am stuck with 140amp and a 1400 kinetik currently.
What I keep hearing from a lot of installers is the sub requires 2500rms.. and under powering the sub will kill it just like pumping it with distortion. I don't see this as me playing it at low volume to me is the same thing? I dunno, I am ignorant to all of this.
Lol it won't do anything under powering it. Just like you said, you don't listen to full volume all the time. 2500 watts of true power over time will cook that sub. I wouldn't go over 1500 if you don't have much experience with it. You could do a 2500 considering it won't see 2500 but for split seconds at a time but you must know what you are doing and your truck won't power it anyway.

I have heard loud ported boxes. Some that sounded phenomenal! However most of them dropped off heavily on many frequencies. I play such a diverse amount of music that I want to be able to cover it all... This is why I have stuck with sealed and pushed more power... And I am limited on space in the back of the suv... probably 4 4.5 cube at max... again, would need someone to build something. I am not good with all of the details...

Don't use to much port area and you will have a lot of bandwidth. Flat good loud bandwidth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.