Is my sub blown?

I got a brand new jl 1000/1d amp a month ago, and hooked it up to a jl 12w3v2. I was bumping to it omw to class then all of a sudden it shuts off, then back on again, and kept doing that. I open the trunk and smoke came out of it. After inspection, I saw that the speaker wires melted the plastic connection points on the subwoofer enclosure. Later when I got home I took the sub out of its box and found that it was extremely hot. I heard that I might've crossed over my speaker wires or something like that, or that it was too much power. I just want to know what my problem is so that when I get my new subs it won't happen again. By the way the sub was wired to 2 ohms with gain halfway up.

Thanks!

sounds like more than one problem to me.

if your plastic terminals were melting on your prefab box you had a ****** connection or were overloading them. everyone here should say dont use them. drill a small hole to run your wires through and patch it with something. or run them through the port. anywhere but the terminals.

your speaker should not have been hot 8 hours after this problem occured it sounds like you were still playing music on your drive home even though the bass wasnt hitting. (am i wrong?) It sounds like you may have been shorting your voice coil.

I would check impedence of your sub first and see if it reads. make sure your bass boost and head unit bass are both set to 0. if your amp was cutting out you can never double check the ground to many times, make sure its sanded and to tight to wiggle whatsoever.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.