JL overpriced

id rather my product be made in china by someone who is thankful to have the job over some woman who hates her job and cant wait to get off work so she can get home.
id still rather buy something made in my Country
"It's like a walking contradiction...." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

If you measure performance only in terms of numbers on an SPL meter, then sure you can get much more for much less. If that is your measure of performance then you really aren't JL's target market anyway.

You can get a ton more power than McIntosh, Tru, Genesis, Sinfoni, Audison etc... for much less money but everyone who goes on and on about how JL is overpriced drools all over those brands which in reality are nothing all that special.

A lot of people don't like the sound of the W7, but a lot of people don't like the sound of the XBL^2 subs either. I've never heard a legitimate complaint about the quality of the output of any of the other JL subs only about the quantity. They do OK on output for an SQ oriented driver and for the person who wants to listen to music (not just rap) on a quality setup at sane levels, the JLs fill the bill very well.

You pay some for the name, but most of what you pay goes to the in house R&D that JL does. What has Kicker done in the way of innovation in the last 10 or so years? They change the look of their subs every year but that's it.

I've got a JL sub that is 16+ years old. I got it back when they were about as mainstream as Ascendant or Fi or Stereo Integrity are now (yes the people on here know those brands but ask some Joe off the street and chances are they've heard of Kicker, JL and maybe MTX but not AA, Fi or SI). JL earned their reputation as one of the best subs on the market and built their market share and name recognition through performance. They did it before there was an internet and they did it with minimal advertising. Look back 15 or so years at every head to head comparison of subs in the car audio mags and you will see that if there was a JL sub in the comparo, it won. It wasn't because they spent a lot of money advertising in that mag either, because, like I said, they hardly advertised at all. The best advertising for them was done at the IASCA world finals where they had several winning streaks that spanned years.

The real answer as to whether or not they are overpriced is sales figures. I don't think that they are having trouble moving product...

If you measure performance only in terms of numbers on an SPL meter, then sure you can get much more for much less. If that is your measure of performance then you really aren't JL's target market anyway.
You can get a ton more power than McIntosh, Tru, Genesis, Sinfoni, Audison etc... for much less money but everyone who goes on and on about how JL is overpriced drools all over those brands which in reality are nothing all that special.

A lot of people don't like the sound of the W7, but a lot of people don't like the sound of the XBL^2 subs either. I've never heard a legitimate complaint about the quality of the output of any of the other JL subs only about the quantity. They do OK on output for an SQ oriented driver and for the person who wants to listen to music (not just rap) on a quality setup at sane levels, the JLs fill the bill very well.

You pay some for the name, but most of what you pay goes to the in house R&D that JL does. What has Kicker done in the way of innovation in the last 10 or so years? They change the look of their subs every year but that's it.

I've got a JL sub that is 16+ years old. I got it back when they were about as mainstream as Ascendant or Fi or Stereo Integrity are now (yes the people on here know those brands but ask some Joe off the street and chances are they've heard of Kicker, JL and maybe MTX but not AA, Fi or SI). JL earned their reputation as one of the best subs on the market and built their market share and name recognition through performance. They did it before there was an internet and they did it with minimal advertising. Look back 15 or so years at every head to head comparison of subs in the car audio mags and you will see that if there was a JL sub in the comparo, it won. It wasn't because they spent a lot of money advertising in that mag either, because, like I said, they hardly advertised at all. The best advertising for them was done at the IASCA world finals where they had several winning streaks that spanned years.

The real answer as to whether or not they are overpriced is sales figures. I don't think that they are having trouble moving product...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

I like your post! Thanks for explaining what JL is about.

Rick

a regulated amp is a regulated amp in my eyes..
XEload had nothing to do with regulation. It had to do with load management. The Xenons were not regulated amps that I know of. They used stepped rails to adjust the rail voltage for the load that they were wired to. They still varied output power with input voltage. The JL amps work in a totally different way and make the same power regardless of load or input voltage as long as both are within the operational range of the amp. There is not another amp that does both as far as I know. There are amps that do one or the other but not both.

i have a w6 and i had 3. i love the subs. and mine is forsale if an one wants it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i also use a 450/4. very solid amp. aalso for sale

jl is worth the money and if you have the right buyers locally its not expensive i got my 3 13.5 w6v2 for 1000 even JL is not over priced and my **** will hit 153+db anyday
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

JL is made in the Florida theres only one factory thats why no ones sells it but a few people becuase they dont mass product like kicker and have **** up products every 100 made they are made by hand..
Tru

nothing wrong with JL's products,it is good stuff but most people including myself

can locate something as good or better for half JL's price..

and JLs warrenty is really nothing short of a scam against DIYers

jl makes a good product. not an exceptional product. they have done an exceptional job of promoting there product. you can get a better product for the same price.

this W1 was beat almost to death, but keeps on keeping on. Girl that had/has it is thrilled with what it does.

l_aeaf7ed47f51fc13975206e4cffe69a3.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Ineed$

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Ineed$
San Diego
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date