Just got new Alpine Cda-117

dtbrown
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I must say swapping from an Alpine Cda-9885 I'm very impressed with the Cda-117. Finally Alpine bringing back time correction and the selectable parametric or graphic EQ. That's really what my Cda-9885 lacked and what bugged me. Alpine changed the user interface a bit and it's a bit easier to use. Using the supplied usb Iphone interface is excellent and works flawlessly. My Sirius radio works just as good as it did before. And I think it sounds a little better then my Cda-9885.

Only thing that I really wish it had was the bluetooth included. But for a little less then $300 this is a great radio for money especially if you have a iphone or ipod. So anyone with a CDA-9885 or 9886 this is a nice step up.

I am a prior owner of a 9883, 9884, and 9886. Also one older Alpine tape deck from 03/04. I was just checking their website since I haven't browsed in awhile. I'm impressed and hoping this means they're thinking of incorporating a better choice of head units with built-in content into their lineup again. Also noticed that the 9884 is gone and the CD 103Bt is now there with built-in bluetooth. Funny coincidence, there really wasn't much meaningful functional difference between the 9886 and 9884 that I could see. And I think they were probably the only mainstream manufacturer left that didn't have an option for people who wanted BT built in instead of through a 200 dollar-plus add-on module. Still not enough choices there for my tastes but good on 'em for making some strides to fix some glaring problems with their line-up. I think this will only lead to better things.

It's still not enough to make me get rid of my Pioneer with built time alignment, 16 band graphic, IPOD capability, and built in bluetooth, but I'll start followimg Alpine again to see what else is in store. For a minute there I thought we'd get down to just a lineup of AM/FM tuners with IMPRINT required at extra charge to unlock everything else including CD playback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a prior owner of a 9883, 9884, and 9886. Also one older Alpine tape deck from 03/04. I was just checking their website since I haven't browsed in awhile. I'm impressed and hoping this means they're thinking of incorporating a better choice of head units with built-in content into their lineup again. Also noticed that the 9884 is gone and the CD 103Bt is now there with built-in bluetooth. Funny coincidence, there really wasn't much meaningful functional difference between the 9886 and 9884 that I could see. And I think they were probably the only mainstream manufacturer left that didn't have an option for people who wanted BT built in instead of through a 200 dollar-plus add-on module. Still not enough choices there for my tastes but good on 'em for making some strides to fix some glaring problems with their line-up. I think this will only lead to better things.
It's still not enough to make me get rid of my Pioneer with built time alignment, 16 band graphic, IPOD capability, and built in bluetooth, but I'll start followimg Alpine again to see what else is in store. For a minute there I thought we'd get down to just a lineup of AM/FM tuners with IMPRINT required at extra charge to unlock everything else including CD playback.
I 100% agree with you and I would maybe go back to pioneer but everyone pioneer that I've ever owned the RCA ouputs failed due to the way pioneer grounds the RCA ouputs or something along those lines. I actually was considering one of the new pioneers that are coming soon but didn't want to wait. But maybe next year I'll consider pioneer again.

I must say swapping from an Alpine Cda-9885 I'm very impressed with the Cda-117. Finally Alpine bringing back time correction and the selectable parametric or graphic EQ. That's really what my Cda-9885 lacked and what bugged me. Alpine changed the user interface a bit and it's a bit easier to use. Using the supplied usb Iphone interface is excellent and works flawlessly. My Sirius radio works just as good as it did before. And I think it sounds a little better then my Cda-9885.  

Only thing that I really wish it had was the bluetooth included. But for a little less then $300 this is a great radio for money especially if you have a iphone or ipod. So anyone with a CDA-9885 or 9886 this is a nice step up.
This post is exactly on the money and I confirm everything dtbrown said because i swapped out my CDA 9886 for the CDA 117 and there is a difference. The eq feature is very nice (graphic or parametric), the IPOD capability with alphabet search or percentage search, burr brown 24 bit DSP on the IPOD and general audio, time alighnment, USB feature on the IPOD, sound quality, looks, etc. The CDA 117 is a definite upgrade on the CDA 9886.

Yeah, there is a 5 band parametric or 7 band graphic equalizaer. If you want the preset eq settings and other options then IMPRINT must be purchased. There are more than enough settings without IMPRINT on this unit that makes the sound quality excellent. This unit has a 24 bit burr brown option on all modes SAT, FM/AM, CD, IPOD, etc. In my opinion the CDA-117 is a true sq head unit and sounds exactly the same as the Pioneer PRS-800 DEH which in itself sounds excellent. This unit is a definite upgrade from the CDA 9886 as stated in an earlier post.

After having the radio for a couple weeks now I'm very impressed. This is Alpines best sounding radio for the money hands down. Playing with the time correction makes such a big difference. Now I just have to use their calculation and see if it sound better then what I set by ear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For a minute there I thought we'd get down to just a lineup of AM/FM tuners with IMPRINT required at extra charge to unlock everything else including CD playback.
lol, not too far from the truth. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dtbrown

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
dtbrown
Chicago, il
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date