Looking for a new sub/amp combo?

Participant count
  • Participant list

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
I currently have a 5 channel amp (600w on channel 5) pushing an Image Dynamics IDQ12. It sounds pretty good but I always knew my 5 channel amp would be upgraded one day. So, I am trying to figure out a strong amp/sub combo. I can build the box myself as long as it's sealed or a pretty straight forward ported box.

Local shop suggested Audio Dynamics AD4210 (~$400). Which is a 10" sub. Along with a SFB-1500D (~$270). Can anyone give any thoughts on how well this would perform compared to my current sub? It is a 10" but it's seemingly a higher end. And the power going to it would be double or more.

I am not dead set on the above combo but would like to keep the cost around the same (700-800) max.

Any suggestions?

The CAB-22 (1500 @ 2 ohms) is on sale right now for $235, and you could get a SSA ICON 12” for $320. And SSA have their own box designs free on their site. I had the 15 and it sounded great and got low and loud.

The CAB-22 (1500 @ 2 ohms) is on sale right now for $235, and you could get a SSA ICON 12” for $320. And SSA have their own box designs free on their site. I had the 15 and it sounded great and got low and loud.
I'd take an SSA Zcon, which is just a few bucks more but a much better sub all day anyway. I can get a Wolfram 2400 for like two fiddy. Go a little large on the specs and wam bam thank you ma'am.

I currently have a 5 channel amp (600w on channel 5) pushing an Image Dynamics IDQ12. It sounds pretty good but I always knew my 5 channel amp would be upgraded one day. So, I am trying to figure out a strong amp/sub combo. I can build the box myself as long as it's sealed or a pretty straight forward ported box.

Local shop suggested Audio Dynamics AD4210 (~$400). Which is a 10" sub. Along with a SFB-1500D (~$270). Can anyone give any thoughts on how well this would perform compared to my current sub? It is a 10" but it's seemingly a higher end. And the power going to it would be double or more.

I am not dead set on the above combo but would like to keep the cost around the same (700-800) max.

Any suggestions?
What vehicle? Stock Electrical or any upgrades been done?

SloRide -Uhhh, thanks but if you know of something, can you specify? Not that I don't believe you but that's the reason I posted.

Dang, that Cab amp is huge. I'll have to measure but I don't think I can fit that beast in my Jeep. Great price though.
Audiobaun.
Jeep Wrangler . I have no done any electrical upgrades. You think I need the big 3 if I go to a 1000-1500 watt amp?

SloRide -Uhhh, thanks but if you know of something, can you specify? Not that I don't believe you but that's the reason I posted.

Dang, that Cab amp is huge. I'll have to measure but I don't think I can fit that beast in my Jeep. Great price though.
Audiobaun.
Jeep Wrangler . I have no done any electrical upgrades. You think I need the big 3 if I go to a 1000-1500 watt amp?
I ran a 1500 watt amp for about a year and a couple months ago moved up to a 2500… both on my stock electrical without any issues so far, but it’ll definitely never hurt to do the big 3. It’s on my to do list. My alt is just in a horrible location so I haven’t felt like dealing with it. And I’d still go with the ICON if you’re staying with 1500 watts… that won’t be enough for the ZCON, but it’s just right for the ICON. I had the 15” ICON and it slapped.

thanks Marve.
How about a sundown sa v2 12" sub and a box like this?

I would run it for a month or two and then run some 0 gauge and figure out what amp would be better?

I build my own boxes cause most pre-fabs just aren’t that good. And I don’t like that it has a 5/8” baffle. That should be the strongest part. I’d run the sundown, but I don’t know about that box. It might be okay as a temporary box, but that’s up to you.

Audiobaun.
Uhh, can you f*cking read dumb@ss. I listed the perfect sub and amp. Jesus f*cking Christ this place gets dumber by the day.

Marve_Lous
thanks. I didn't catch the 3/8" baffle. I built my current box but it's sealed. Never built a ported box but they don't look terribly difficult. Just been hesitant in case I don't get the port right and go through all of the building for something that still doesn't sound good.

Uhh, .....
OK, internet tough guy.
Thanks for your info.

Marve_Lous
thanks. I didn't catch the 3/8" baffle. I built my current box but it's sealed. Never built a ported box but they don't look terribly difficult. Just been hesitant in case I don't get the port right and go through all of the building for something that still doesn't sound good.

OK, internet tough guy.
Thanks for your info.
Awwwww, someone's mad because I just made them look like a dumb@ss. You're the moron not me. There is a zero chance a better sounding and louder sub and amp can be named. Gtfo with you dumb ******** questions

Marve_Lous
Just get someone to design one for you so you know it’s done right. @Buck can hook you up with a straight forward ported box. Even with the cost of the design and building material you’ll come out about the same as the pre-fab box, but it’ll sound much better.

Just get someone to design one for you so you know it’s done right. @Buck can hook you up with a straight forward ported box. Even with the cost of the design and building material you’ll come out about the same as the pre-fab box, but it’ll sound much better.
Yeah, buck designed my current box. I was considering him. I will look into ssa icons. you said they have box specs on their site so I will try to find them also.
I think an Amp is going to be the hardest. mounting them in a jeep is kinda a pain. Thats also why I want to stay away from larger amps if possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...