LP Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Decado
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So just recently I bought a record (12") from Hospital records and I've been having a little problem with it. For some reason every time there's a drum or bass section it starts skipping like crazy unless I turn the speakers almost all the way down. All my other records can get quite loud without ever skipping but for some reason this one does. Are these electronic LP's somehow grooved differently for DJ'ing purposes? Do I need a different type of turntable to play it?

Oh and a side question, do you still need to preamp your turntable if you're connecting to your computer and you have a soundcard (x-fi)? Or will plugging straight into the line in work just fine for recording purposes?

So just recently I bought a record (12") from Hospital records and I've been having a little problem with it. For some reason every time there's a drum or bass section it starts skipping like crazy unless I turn the speakers almost all the way down. All my other records can get quite loud without ever skipping but for some reason this one does. Are these electronic LP's somehow grooved differently for DJ'ing purposes? Do I need a different type of turntable to play it?
Oh and a side question, do you still need to preamp your turntable if you're connecting to your computer and you have a soundcard (x-fi)? Or will plugging straight into the line in work just fine for recording purposes?
Do those other records have as much bass as the one you're having a problem with? I'm thinking you may not have the tracking force set to where it needs to be, or maybe the anti-skate needs to be adjusted...I assume you have the ground lead from the tonearm connected to the grounding lug on the preamp?

As for the second question, no, you'll need a phono preamplifier before going to a line input. The Hagerman Bugle would be my recommendation for a cheap (under $100) phono pre...Cambridge Audio also makes a nice inexpensive one, but I can't remember how much that one is.

Do those other records have as much bass as the one you're having a problem with? I'm thinking you may not have the tracking force set to where it needs to be, or maybe the anti-skate needs to be adjusted...I assume you have the ground lead from the tonearm connected to the grounding lug on the preamp?
As for the second question, no, you'll need a phono preamplifier before going to a line input. The Hagerman Bugle would be my recommendation for a cheap (under $100) phono pre...Cambridge Audio also makes a nice inexpensive one, but I can't remember how much that one is.
No I mean I have to turn it down really quiet, almost as quiet as the sound of the record itself before the bass stops skipping it. What are these tracking force/anti-skate measures you speak of and what is this connecting the ground lead from the tonearm to the grounding lug? I have a middle of the road sony turntable, so I don't even know if I have all those options on this.

Edit: since I can't find any tracking force or anti-skate adjustment I did try the penny fix, which helped the skipping some but it still happens. But now I've noticed another problem, for some reason this record plays really slow, even though I have it set to 33.

Post a picture of your turntable, and tonearm...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You may not have an anti-skate adjustment, but I guarantee you have some way of adjusting the tracking force.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.