Marine Grade Jeep

Well I picked up the speaker bar from the shop today. It looks pretty good, considering.

DSCN0011_zpsda5374bc.jpg

DSCN0012_zps67880b3c.jpg

After I picked it up I took it back to my unit and started finishing it up. For all speaker wiring I'm using 12gauge Tsunami SW912BL twisted wire. Today I cut two pieces of wire roughly 14" long, striped both ends of each wire and crimped on some spade terminals. After I crimped on the terminals I soldered everything just to make sure it was all good.

DSCN0010_zps57a0849e.jpg

With the spade terminals on both ends I can mount or remove the bar at anytime with out cutting any wires.

DSCN0014_zps6dc4a172.jpg

you can see where I had to drill and inject resin under the top layer of glass to get rid of those little voids I had. Should've taken the time to fill them flush and and do a proper finish job on it. But the back (straight) section is going to be against the roll bar so I wasn't too worried about it. As long as the construction is solid (and it is) I'm happy.

I also used some 5200 marine adhesive to permanently attach the tweeter mounts and to seal around the wire.

DSCN0015_zps80aa8292.jpg

DSCN0013_zps4355b653.jpg

I dont know if any of you guys have ever used 5200, but this is the strongest adhesive I've ever used. Just a couple 8" long beads of it is enough to hold a 250hp outboard engine on the transom of our small bolts. We use it to seal it up so no water can get behind the engine mounts. even after removing the mounting bolts it takes two crowbars to separate the engine from the transom.

So this is just a photo of the speaker on the mess deck so you can see what they look like.

DSCN0016_zpsedd161ba.jpg

So apparently no one on Guam does any fiberglass work. All the audio places around here just sell pre-made boxes. *****. When I took the speaker bar over to the shop every one there was like "Wow, thats sick. You made that?" I actually felt a little sad about it.

Oh yeah, I found some old photos. So when I say I take my jeep off road this is an example of where we go. This is the easy portion of the trail close to where we BBQ also.

21064_280368379433_6875591_n_zpsc434fc7e.jpg

Ok, did a little work (2 hours worth) and also got some photos today.

So here's my jeep now. She freshly cleaned since we went off roading the other day. Also broke the steering stabiliser mounts off the steering bar. So I need to fix that too.

DSCN0017_zpsf1114636.jpg

Here's the tires and rims.

DSCN0020_zps859d7e50.jpg

DSCN0021_zps8dd8c3ba.jpg

And here's where I'm working.

DSCN0022_zps18031605.jpg

You can see how I ran the wires under the new rollbar padding and covers in this one.

DSCN0023_zps781298eb.jpg

I'm building enclosures for the subs on each wheel well to try to utilise the curved areas. This way I dont have to lose so much of my storage area.

DSCN0024_zps09a0a0df.jpg

Taped

DSCN0025_zps90aa149d.jpg

Foiled

DSCN0027_zpsb1e6c2ea.jpg

Glass

DSCN0031_zps44d207d4.jpg

I got both sides tapped and foiled. Only got glass on one side. I'm using fiberglass cloth cut into 2" x 14" strips. I laid the first layer down in vertical strips, over lapping each piece. The second layer I laid horizontally over lapping each piece. Tomorrow I'll finish the passenger side and begin on the drivers side.

Just noticed I'm missing a lug nut also. Oh, heres a photo of my atlasII. Not much to look at but since it costs so **** much I thought I'd post it.

DSCN0018_zps8623403c.jpg

Sure did. Then covered it in some bondo to keep it from melting too much and finished it off with fiberglass. Once done I used some acetone to melt all the foam. I was then left with a 1/4" thick fiberglass shell.

Sure did. Then covered it in some bondo to keep it from melting too much and finished it off with fiberglass. Once done I used some acetone to melt all the foam. I was then left with a 1/4" thick fiberglass shell.
Thats a awesome idea lol.

OK so I've had a little problem with the boxes for the subs. You would think I would've learned my lesson from the last time I got caught in the rain.... but no. I had to go and do it again. This time I just got done with cutting all the pieces for both sub boxes, mounted every piece but the top because I was going to glass everything together. The ship piped chow, so I looked around, no clouds in sight, so I go in to eat. Ten minutes later when I came out everything was wet, like a cloud came and and took a super massive **** all over my boxes. I run over and dry them off as best I could and put them in a dry hot compartment for the night. The next day, sure enough, all the MDF swelled up like a balloon.

So I've decided to make the whole box out of fiberglass. But wouldn't you know it, the whole island is out of the 3m resin I like. So I head to napa and pick up some of their resin. Let me tell you guys, napa brand resin *****. Bad.

I should be done with a small portion of the box tomorrow. Nothing special, so no photos. This is going to take longer now too.

Really nice work so far on this, especially with all the workarounds you've had to do and dealing with the supplies which you have available. You're going to be the envy of Guam with this ride!

Thanks a lot. This project is just taking forever but it'll be finished someday. I just noticed you're in WA. My unit is heading to WA in a little bit for dry dock there. It's also where I'm picking up my next project... an old 67 Chevelle.

I haven't been to WA since 05. I was statione there for 5 years. I wonder how much it has changed.

Have to put this project up until Feb 20th. The humidity here now that it's typhoon season is insane. I do a small section of fiber glass and it takes about two days for the resin to cure. Thats with a hotter mix to. So I'm taking the moods of my wheel wells with me when we deploy. I'll work on them once we get where we're going. Putting this off longer than I already have is killing me, I have all the components of the install just sitting here in my apartment. Fluff it! this just gives me time to make the boxes even stronger and better looking. See ya in a month.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.