Mechman 270 amp alt slipping under load

Participant count
  • Participant list

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I had the L series alt installed by my mechanic a few months ago, and i have had a lot of trouble. I can't seem to find a small enough belt, it still slips whenever I put any sort of load on it. I am worried it's not the typical belt slippage issue, after ripping my front end apart I discovered something a bit worrisome. It appears that the grounding lug on the alt was too long and was in the way of the a/c compressor so the mechanic sheared it and grounded it to where it mounts on the rear case instead. I'm not sure what to think, is that lug just a casing mount or is it a bigger problem.

Either way I'm in voltage hell

I had the L series alt installed by my mechanic a few months ago, and i have had a lot of trouble. I can't seem to find a small enough belt, it still slips whenever I put any sort of load on it. I am worried it's not the typical belt slippage issue, after ripping my front end apart I discovered something a bit worrisome. It appears that the grounding lug on the alt was too long and was in the way of the a/c compressor so the mechanic sheared it and grounded it to where it mounts on the rear case instead. I'm not sure what to think, is that lug just a casing mount or is it a bigger problem.
Either way I'm in voltage hell
Contact mechman, shoot josh a email at josh@mechman.com. Not sure what they will do because of what the mechanic has done but it sounds like a possible alt issue. Im sure they will be able to recommend where to get some proper length belts.

Either adjust the tensioner pulley or get a smaller belt...

I've never had an alt with a dedicated ground lug, they're usually grounded through the engine block or through the addition of one of the big 3 wires (engine block to chassis) so direct to the alt chassis should be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.