Melting Fuse holder

kapo4238

hey guys i have a question, a problem i seen to keep having is melting or frying the fuse holder. The fuse doesn't even break, the housing just melts. Can someone pls give me n idea whats the cause. all my grounds are good no voltage drop running 150a fuse from batt

thanx ill get to it. i appreciate the help

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

what does that mean

melting is caused by heat which is caused by resistance and/or arcing.

set screw connections are the weakest type of connection and result in the most heat.

wire ampacity can be limited by the method of connection. the National Electrical Code has separate values for wire ampacity based on the method of connection.

upgrade to 1/0. make sure the wire fully fills the connector.

set screw connections are the weakest type of connection and result in the most heat.
What about using welding lugs and a crimp type tool, where does this rank on the good/bad list? We have a golf cart and battery place locally that has a big crimper that I think pokes in with 4 dimples.

What about using welding lugs and a crimp type tool, where does this rank on the good/bad list? We have a golf cart and battery place locally that has a big crimper that I think pokes in with 4 dimples.
lugs are the next step up and increase available wire ampacity. if you can, go that route.

If your connections are loose, you'll build up heat causing failure as well. If you want to eliminate this problem, you need to have these 3 things done:

1- Proper wire gauge for the length and ampacity required.

2- Proper sized fuse for the wire being used.

3- Properly terminated, secure connections.

If those 3 are all done correctly, you'll have no issue.

For #1- You need to determine the maximum amperage draw from your audio equipment and determine the proper awg wire to use.

For #2- Once you know this, the fuse rating should be below the maximum ampacity of the wire gauge and length used. The fuse is meant to protect the wire- not your equipment connected at the other end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.