Melting smell but no smoke.

Participant count
  • Participant list

dudeogo

Actually a Potato
I was pushing my Rockford pretty hard with a few tests today, and when I was finished there was a smokey smell close to the woofer, identical to that of when I blew my audiobahn 12. However, unlike my encounter with the audiobahn, there was no smoke, and no seized voice coil. Am I alright to keep using the sub as long as I dont push it that hard again? Or is my voice coil just cooked and waiting to melt apart.

I was pushing my Rockford pretty hard with a few tests today, and when I was finished there was a smokey smell close to the woofer, identical to that of when I blew my audiobahn 12. However, unlike my encounter with the audiobahn, there was no smoke, and no seized voice coil. Am I alright to keep using the sub as long as I dont push it that hard again? Or is my voice coil just cooked and waiting to melt apart.
I've read if the subs are brand new and they're pushed hard excess glue can heat up and smell. However, I can't validate that claim. Are the subs becoming warm to the touch? You can check the coils with a multimeter to see if they've become damaged.

I've read if the subs are brand new and they're pushed hard excess glue can heat up and smell. However, I can't validate that claim. Are the subs becoming warm to the touch? You can check the coils with a multimeter to see if they've become damaged.
Cold to the touch. and yes I have heard that as well. that was the hardest I have ever pushed them and there was no distortion from my other speakers, so either the amp was clipping, or the glue was coming off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.