MIXED RESULTS: optima YELLOW top vs optima RED top

eb2phkingood
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
kansas
ok so i HAD a red top battery, and my yellow top will be here wednesday according to JEGS.

1) allllll my online searches have came up with the yellow top being a better audio battery as it is deep cycle, even optima themselves recommended this battery, therefore i bought it!

2) Crutchfield recommends red top hands down, and BOTH of my local car stores recommend it as well. They say it is just so much quicker and responsive that they have no idea why anyone would want a yellow top. In fact i know 2 of them personally there who switched from Yellow to Red and said they would NEVER change it for the world.

So i am running this test myself and will know by the end of the week. just wanting to hear your thoughts, opinions, advice, stories. And yes, i know that having a second battery is obv the best option, but in cases where it is not applicable (like myself) or for whatever reason, which would you choose and most importantly WHY??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Optima pretty much explains the difference and why. I wouldnt listen to the locals. Try a c&d you get a a lot more batt for your $ dont get caught up in these big name brands

ive heard red tops are better to run as starting batts, but yellow tops are better in the back. ive never personally used either, and dont plan too due to price and lack of quality. but thats what ive heard

I've always preferred Reds for starting and everyday duties. I've never had good luck with a deep cycle battery receiving a continuous charge and not having some sort of capacity damage.

optima has marketing to justify the extra cost of their yellow top.

the key is getting an AGM battery. i run a redtop because i wanted a battery designed for starting a car - since that is why i have a battery to begin with. over 6 years later and it still floats at 12.5V.

One of my friends had a Red Top installed in his Catera except after awhile one of the + post literally melted off the battery.
melted battery terminals are the result of arcing from a poor installation of the battery terminal or a short that wasn't fused. bad example.

the key is getting an AGM battery. i run a redtop because i wanted a battery designed for starting a car - since that is why i have a battery to begin with. over 6 years later and it still floats at 12.5V.

melted battery terminals are the result of arcing from a poor installation of the battery terminal or a short that wasn't fused. bad example.
yes same here. have 2 red tops and never had a single issue with either. the terminal melting off things must be a specific case because i have never heard of this happening on a red top from anyone who had it wired up stable. i also love, non corrosion, top posts (in case you need to jump your car or whatever) + side posts (so you can hook all your audio equipment up to) + 15-25% lighter than almost every other high performance battery on the market. if i need a replacement the availability is awesome whether i am just taking it to a my local autozone for a replacement, or if i break down 600 miles away from home, getting a replacement is easy. and to top it all off, i kinda like the red top look with the bubble sides + nice fitting red cap to cover the top terminals.

Resting at 12.5 is not good even optima will tell you this

Optima Battery Maintenance & Storage - Optima Batteries

optima

1) are they non corrosive???

2) do they have top AND side terminals for connection?

3) can i go to a local autozone or shop and get a same day replacement? and by same day i mean 15 minutes max??

4) kinetic car batteries for a 2000 trans am: weight 54.5 pounds. Optima for 2000 trans am: 31.8 pounds

5) if i am in the middle of a no where town 1,000 miles away and my battery dies, it is as easy as optima where i can call optima up and they will tell me the closest place to get a replacement, and once again, will take 15 minutes max?

6) what about crank amps? does the kinectic have 1000 ca?

7) car battery finder: optima red top model i have (196$). battery finder kinetik recommends a HC1800 or larger for my system at a very cheap price of 419.99$. hell for that i could just buy a second battery and run it in the back.

8) do they carry a 5 year no questions asked warranty like optima?

let me know these answers so i can help make a decision if your optima

1) are they non corrosive???
2) do they have top AND side terminals for connection?

3) can i go to a local autozone or shop and get a same day replacement? and by same day i mean 15 minutes max??

4) kinetic car batteries for a 2000 trans am: weight 54.5 pounds. Optima for 2000 trans am: 31.8 pounds

5) if i am in the middle of a no where town 1,000 miles away and my battery dies, it is as easy as optima where i can call optima up and they will tel me the closest place to get a replacement, and once again, will take 15 minutes max?

6) what about crank amps? does the kinectic have 1000 ca?

I for-see a strike-out

1) are they non corrosive???pretty much all agms are non corrosive
2) do they have top AND side terminals for connection?have side post adapters avalible

3) can i go to a local autozone or shop and get a same day replacement? and by same day i mean 15 minutes max??read the warranty

4) kinetic car batteries for a 2000 trans am: weight 54.5 pounds. Optima for 2000 trans am: 31.8 pounds 81 Ah vs 44 or 50 Ah?

5) if i am in the middle of a no where town 1,000 miles away and my battery dies, it is as easy as optima where i can call optima up and they will tell me the closest place to get a replacement, and once again, will take 15 minutes max?

6) what about crank amps? does the kinectic have 1000 ca? Does a red top have the capacity for car audio?

7) car battery finder: optima red top model i have (196$). battery finder kinetik recommends a HC1800 or larger for my system at a very cheap price of 419.99$. hell for that i could just buy a second battery and run it in the back.I am pretty sure if you wanted to you could find it new on the cheap...is the red top suggested to be used with car audio?

8) do they carry a 5 year no questions asked warranty like optima?% years no questions asked?

Red Top warranty

6V, 12V Passenger Vehicle / Light Truck (noncommercial) 36 Months Free Replacement

Commercial 12 Months Free Replacement

Abusive service / Deep Cycle Applications / Car Audio Not covered

Optima Product Support : Warranty Info

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/Optima_Warranty.pdf

OPTIMA Batteries, Inc. will have no obligation under this limited warranty in the event the battery isdamaged or destroyed as a result of any of the following events: improper installation; damage or

destruction by abusive overcharging; collision; theft; improper maintenance or mishandling of the battery;

natural forces such as wind, lightning, hail, etc.; any willful or negligent act; penetration, or opening of

the battery case in any manner

And as an IASCA World Finalist there is nothing worse than having a battery die on you in the lanes..ruined my streak of top 4 finishes like sbn and midwest nationals as of right now my kinetik has lasted 3 + years longer than any of my optimas and 2.5 years longer than my stinger and for some odd reason they wouldn't warranty my red top that was under 4 months old the shop looked at my 100 watt car and said hell no. Granted I learned a lot from that and more than likely had I known then what I know now it would have at least lasted 2 years LOL. I also would not do a red top if I were to go optima with car audio I would go yellow or blue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.