My Alpine CDA-7983 sub pre outs are having trouble!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chollis
10+ year member

I have an Alpine CDA-7983 and everything on it works great except for the subwoofer pre outs. When I plug in the RCAs, and turn the subwoofer setting all the way up, you can barely feel the sub moving when you put your hand on it. Can anybody help me with this?

I had it hooked up to a kicker SX900.2 and I turned the volume way up and the subwoofer output on the head unit turned all the way up. When I put my hand on the woofer, it was barely vibrating.

I also tried hooking it up to a JL Audio 250.1 also with no results. The only thing that's different is that the stereo does not have an in-line fuse, because I used the 16 pin plug off of a different alpine. The other Alpine had the fuse in the unit itself, whereas the CDA-7983 had an in-line fuse. Would that cause the sub preouts to not work?

I also tried hooking it up to a JL Audio 250.1 also with no results. The only thing that's different is that the stereo does not have an in-line fuse, because I used the 16 pin plug off of a different alpine. The other Alpine had the fuse in the unit itself, whereas the CDA-7983 had an in-line fuse. Would that cause the sub preouts to not work?
The fuse has nothing to do with the preouts. You should put an inline 10 amp fuse holder on the yellow wire. The fuse is to protect the unit in case of an overload or short circuit. If you had a fuse and it opened that would prevent the radio from turning on.

You could try the front or rear preouts to see if that gets you more output from the amp.

I'm having the exact same issue as the OP on my new INE-S920HD. All of the pre-outs (front, rear, sub) have minimal output to my subs.

Chollis, did you ever solve your issue?

I previously had a Pioneer AVH-8400BT on the same amp and subs, and they hit super hard. All I did was swap out the Head Unit, and my bass is gone. I read that it's easy to kill Pre's if you touch them to a 12v feed, and though I don't think I did that... anything is possible. Is there an internal fuse on the pre's? Is there anything else that we could be looking to do to fix this problem?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.