My last nerve

Participant count
  • Participant list

CrAiZ3
10+ year member

I've been trying to get my system up and bumping since before Christmas.

For info on my setup, and the previous problems i've been having please refer to this link.

Okay, after you've just finished reading that extremely long 1st thread, here is where I currently stand.

I ended up buying a fusion powerplant 1500rms amp for $179, and it was covered by a warrenty in case it blew like all my others. This is the amp I am currently running. The isolator was removed as well, so the batteries are ran paralell.

My problem is that when the volume is turned up so high (say volume 17 is the threshold) that the sub will start missing beats all together. If the volume is kept under the sub hits consistantly but is not very loud at all (110db TOPS). When the volume is turned up past 17 it will miss almost all of the beats and occasionally hit half a beat. Bear with me, that is my best possible explanation. It seems as if the amp isnt giving power fast enough for the sub.

the amp could be cutting out due to a lack of current. this happend to my friends mtx, he got to 133db. this can be due to the impedance load on the amp or wire not being thick enough, or poor grounding.

Thats kind of what I thought too. However, this never happened when the isolator was hooked up with the other amps (even though the other amps blew)

The ground wire is 2 guage all around as well as 4 guage for the power wire.

yep... go to 1/0 power.. 1/0 ground.. make surethe ground is good and the power is secure to the amp and the batt.. this SHOULD fix your problem

I agree with the wire gauge these guys are talking about. One thing I go by is the amp and its power connections. For instance, in my last setup before I totaled my car I had 2 JBL GTO 700.1 powering 2 GT5-12 independently. So for my power I ran a 1/0 cable from the battery to a distro that split to 4 gauge and to the amps, which the amps accepted 4 gauge wire so thats what I used. Then for the ground I just ran the 2 4 gauge cables to my ground point. On your grounding point be sure that the contact area on the metal is bare and no paint or primer or whatever. The connection has to be solid to ensure the current will pass smoothly and not have to go another route or try to go through something to get to the amp. Electricity takes the shortest path from point A (battery) to point B (amp etc). A clean install is everything if you want it right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.