my new delema : what to do...

Participant count
  • Participant list

brian84corvette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
today I could not pass up a good deal on a pair of m mats p3 15's new in the box

but

I already had plans to re do the box in my vette for my re sx 18.

my current box is all wood - and can only squeeze like 5 cubes net for the sub after the slot port. - but I have a bunch more room in the rear of the car to make fiberglass tub for the bottom and sides to maxamize usable air space in the rear of the car, im thinking doing this box and using a wood top with supports all thruought - should give me about 7 cubes net after port.

perfect for my re sx 18 that I already have and love.

but now I have a pair of virgin 15's to mess with too.

so this has got me all mixed up with what plans I now want to go with.

maby I can make my box so that the tops are interchangable

and can use one top for my 18" and another for the pair of 15's - but the 15's probly wont like 7 cubes

ported at 34 hz. - unless I underpower them a bit

also :

im starting to think diffrently about my car - not as in a car but as my car is now basicly a speaker box, bandpass style I believe, the car is soo small, that some people ( not verry creditable people - but car audio installer / shops ) have been saying that the airspace left inside my car is actually too small for my 18" to play properly ( or at least sound propper ) - do you think there could be some truth to this ? there is a extremely noticable diffrence when I play loudly with the windows up vs down. and when they are down, I feel like the bass is louder to my ears - but less violent shaking of the car durring low hz notes.

could the windows being down possibly affect the tuning frequency of the car ?

im not extremely new at all this, but im still trying to learn all there is to know,

I have yet to sit in a car with a true wall in it and listen.

not shure if id like it or not for my vette, maby so.

any how, lmk what yall think

id like to know what route you would take if you were me,

and had a 18" and a pair of 15's to mess with - wich one would you choose = why?

Id do one 18".... remember, i've had all sorts of equipment in my vette so i've had a bit of experience with this. Allthough, you'll never be able to put your targa top back there ever again no matter which route you go.

PICT0005_edited-1.jpg

the targa top hasnt fit back there for a long time now.

before i had the re in there I had a 18" jbl pa speaker ( single 4 ohm 100+spl rating )

in a diffrent box back there - running off 400w it was silly loud for what it was.

pix of both re sx and jbl 2043g

PICT0006_edited-1.jpg

edit - sorry for big pix. i **** at computer.

Hey snoodpan - im working on getting a jeep too !

if I can score one up - can we talk about the wall in yours ?

id like it to do hair tricks. - saw vids of yours looks real good.

Yeah id be happy to help another vette owner out with their jeep //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

The box I had in the back of mine wouldn't let me fit my top in either. Needless to say I only had it like that for spl competiitons and put my 10" back in the spare tire well the rest of the time.

It's been bothering me that i've only got one Diamond Audio 8" back there, its really anemic sounding and doesnt get real loud. But I plan to put a nawwwwzzz bottle back there soon so I really won't have any room then.

you have a spare tire in side your hatch ?

mine mounts under the rear of the car.

my rear hatch has 2 compartments that used to have flip up doors.

kinda roomy in there acutally. - but I tore all the rear interior out last time I had the box out, it was just rattling and buzzing around back there - was soo annoying. diddnt realize how much louder the exaust drone note would be inside teh car tho with no rear carpet or liner. stupid flowmasters.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

alright guys.

whats it gona b

two 15" mmats 3.0

or re sx 18"

can only build the box for either or.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

brian84corvette

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
brian84corvette
coral springs FL.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date