Mecp Master Installer Test= ********

Status
Not open for further replies.

12VoltInstaller
10+ year member

12VoltInstallerTools.com
I have taken the test 2 times now. Both times I failed with a 69% (70% passing) Im pretty f-cking pissed at the content and the types of questions they ask. Along with the fact that I read the whole study guide...I would say that 85% of what is in the "NEW" Study guide is irrelevant to passing the test.

The Study Guide actually has quite a bit of great information, but after taking the test and relating it to the content of what we do as installers and 12 Volt Retail professionals, I wouldn't even consider that type of test applicable to whether or not I would hire an installer that has that certification. Im still F**KING pissed off right now. I thought there was going to be a ton more questions of about new and useful information that may affect how we do our jobs and deal with problems that present themselves.... WHO THE HELL NEEDS TO DESIGN A ZOBEL crossover network for anything they touch anymore?>??????>?>>?> ITS BULLSH1T..... There was 1 question....1 about fiberglass.....there were 0 questions about bluetooth, or data bypass modules. Not a single wire color question was asked.... formulas on how to figure out resistances of individual resistors in circuits.... questions you would need the answer for if you were an amplifier designer or a circuit board assembler...we dont do that....we design small scale circuits to get the cars in and out....who has the time or the customers with the money that are willing to let you design them a passive crossover network that will allow you to run you entire system passive??? REMEMBER WE Have the technology to go completely active now.....WE SO RARELY NEED THAT SH1T ANYMORE!

Why require us to know how to make papyrus paper... and seal it with a wax stamp....that would take forever....when we could e-mail the whole document in less than a minute??

The test is the same test I took 4 years ago....nothing new nothing different...no GPS questions, NO NAVIGATION questions, NO SIRIUS OR XM...or CLASS 2 Databus or CAN-BUS, nothing about fabrication techniques about OEM Integration....no dual layer disc questions, nothing about blueray, no questions about fabrication....the book (study guide) is good...but they didnt write the book and the test on the same planet at the same time....they are asking questions that are based around a different skill set for the applicaiton of our trade. We could be tested on how to fabricate an LCD pannel from scratch...ok so you know how to do that... How THE F does that translate into being a MASTER CERTIFIED CUSTOM GUY THAT EVERYONE ASKS QUESTIONS TO that none of his installs come back and people come looking for him to do their cars...??? Im still so pissed off....what a bogus waste of my time and money. I have made a career out of 12 Volt. The test they offer our professionals, do not accurately test them on applicable knowledge bases. If you want to be that pimp daddy old school installer that has bread boards waiting to be plugged with caps, coils and resistors....your days are over man. So are the days of me thinking that the master certification test is even remotely a credible source for me to determine if the guy that is certified can actually put the **** in a car. Ive had many people come in with Silver level certifications, and after watching them work....I wouldn't let them put a deck back in the box...let alone in the car!

There are so many of the questions relating to current draw and consumption of current and voltage, crossover components that we never apply in the install bay.... does not seem to be being reviewed and written by the leaders in our field.

Dont get me wrong...most of it is important....but lets at least have a ciriculum that reflects the testing questions so we can be prepared for the questions instead of brushing up on new stuff and having none of it apply. The same questions they were asking that I studied for and learned about for my silver level were asked on the test.....arent tests supposed to be advancing and applicable to higher level installation questions instead of the same stuff from before? Yeah yeah...if it was the same as before then you should know it....yeah yeah....whatever stop thinkin it....go take the test...then get back to me. see how pissed you are when you dont pass it!

The Study Guide....yes. The Test....FOCK NO!

I bet you couldnt get an electrical engineer to pass that test! They sure do a good job of trying to trick you with their convoluted questions, but they do an even better job of leaving out the amount of information you would have if in the real world to actually answer the question definitively.

WHO HAS OHMS LAWS CHART MEMORIZED....cmon....the whole DIAGRAM....who?...front to back??? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU NEED TO HAVE THAT **** ON CALL FOR? Thats why directed prints it in all of their manuals...cuz thats where it should be....in the book...where you can go back and reference it...not have it memorized. What a waste of mental space.....for a 12 Volt Automotive installation tech.

THIS MUST BE REVIEWED AND RE-EDITED for 2007 not 1997. WHO THE FHCK NEEDS TO DESIGN A ZOBLE anymore ? I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THAT!

I can get down with the baddest installers..... my fellow installers and industry professionals would agree if asked......

and so I say..... THE MASTER TEST IS BOGUS!

Write the test like the Study Guide and we will all be up to speed and actually have a certification that reflects that we know what 2007 almost 2008 is requiring....95 is gone MECP.

Do accountants need to know how to work an abacus these days..... or 4 different types of accounting software? On 3 different types of operating systems....

SAME EXACT ****!!!!

GO AHEAD TEAR ME UP>>>WRITE ALL YOU WANT>>>GET IT OUT THERE>>>MECP NEEDS TO BE REGULATED ON CUZ IT ISNT DOING ANYTHING FOR OUR INDUSTRY! I have been certified in some shape or form since 97. The questions they are asking are the same questions they were asking in 97.......how does that show the foreword progression of our industry and the depth of our newest technology advances?

This test is for book worms...not pimp ass installers that can fabricate anything sell the customer what they want and make it all sound good too...plus have the knowledge to do their jobs better every day and teach others how to do it as well.

I would like to retake the test if it is written in the same light as the Study guide. That is new information...the test....*****! Not cuz i didnt pass it but because it was proving nothing about being a master installation professional.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rage.gif.0ad8a6e5565b5fddce406566fdd05149.gif

M- Multiple

E- Equations

C- Collaboratively

P- Proves nothing

As far as I know there are only like 85 master installers in the world. My teacher from RITOP is one. I am only MECP basic certified but based on some of the questions on that test I can see where your comming from. There has to be more people that feel the same as you about the master test. If enough people complain I don't see why they wouldn't update.

MY MAN...Keep bumpin this...this has be put out there...I love this profession...I hate that we cannot guage who knows what by the tests we put them through....keep it up...thanks for the post...I'll keep posting

Garry Biggs and Mark Eldredge are master installers. they are very very very very good at what they do. they know so much and are incredible installers.

you seem to miss the point, and you do Not seem to be "master" ready at all.

Well I didnt think people were going to start slamming me so early..but i guess with 30,000 + posts ...what else better do you have to do right?

I read you last 50 posts....do you even talk about CAR AUDIO?

no slamming or anything, but if you gona whine over something you can not pass. then call it BS. its kinda stupid..

what does 30 k posts have to do with anything?

btw im a first class installer too.

btw im a first class installer too.
His specialty is humility. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thats great...have you taken the test???

Have you passed or failed it yet?

Do you have anything constructive to say about it...other than referring to the 2 guys you read about in magazines....that practically started car stereo...? They are old school...they did this stuff when that knowledge was applicable....

Just cuz Jessy James doesnt refine steel from the mountain ever day....doesnt mean hes not qualified to build some of the baddest choppers on the planet..... and is considered a master in his field.....right?

I do not intend on discrediting anyone that has taken and passed the test.... Congratulations to them...Im glad they know more than I do...I obviously have more learning to do....

I am purely saying that the test that has been presented with the study guide and other reference materials that have been presented should shine a light on the application of the knowledge base that is required to take the test and pass.... it doesn't restrict or give you license to not practice car stereo....

you sir are apparently missing MY point.

Well I didnt think people were going to start slamming me so early..but i guess with 30,000 + posts ...what else better do you have to do right?
I read you last 50 posts....do you even talk about CAR AUDIO?
Sir your ride has arrived

waaaambulance-23284.jpg

Thats great...have you taken the test???
Have you passed or failed it yet?

Do you have anything constructive to say about it...other than referring to the 2 guys you read about in magazines....that practically started car stereo...? They are old school...they did this stuff when that knowledge was applicable....

Just cuz Jessy James doesnt refine steel from the mountain ever day....doesnt mean hes not qualified to build some of the baddest choppers on the planet..... and is considered a master in his field.....right?

I do not intend on discrediting anyone that has taken and passed the test.... Congratulations to them...Im glad they know more than I do...I obviously have more learning to do....

I am purely saying that the test that has been presented with the study guide and other reference materials that have been presented should shine a light on the application of the knowledge base that is required to take the test and pass.... it doesn't restrict or give you license to not practice car stereo....

you sir are apparently missing MY point.
nope never taken it, and dont plan too.

Iv met Garry Biggs in person before actually from a work shop, also know Alma Gates, and my hero Rick Jones (who was one who built the ppi bronco)

and its Jesse James

Shop I worked at gets starts at $120/hr. MORE for custom work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
yeah but how long do the installs last, and how many people are working on it? and how often do high-dollar clients come in really? i used to want to do this stuff for a living, but after talking to people who work at custom shops (not just bb and cc drones) i really got the impression that unless you're on PMR or whatever that other show is, it's a tough road financially...

lol....i can take that....thats pretty funny....yeah I am whimpering a little... venting....*****ing....ok....

but WTF can you say? Did YOU pass it?

I would like to hear from some people that have passed it so I can learn what they know...or get some guidance on what they suggest to learn and how to learn it....as well as have the test updated.

Im laying out on the train tracks...for all you mouse clicking desktop train conductors.... just so the people that care about it... can offer constructive criticism and offer solid opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...