Need a box designed for a DC XL

Participant count
  • Participant list

DaveT
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I’m wanting to do a box for my mustang hopefully without having to move the box to get to the spare. I was thinking about doing sub facing the rear of the car with an up firing external box vented box blowing through the lightening cut outs in the center of the package tray firing right up off the rear window. I’ve got about 16.5”H 30”W and would like keep the depth to 15” or under. The sub is the latest XL 12 DVC2 no options but has the elite motor. I was thinking of just under 2cu @32-34hz.

Willing to pay for a design just want to get this DC wangin’!

vehicle : 1999 Mustang Cobra

Location in the vehicle: Trunk, sub rear port up through package tray

Space available: 28” side to side x 15” or under deep x 16.5 high

Subwoofer make and model: DC XLm4 no options but has the elite motor

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Raised Box/slot

What type of music do you like?: Heavy Metal most of the time

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday music love lows

Tuning Freq (Hz): 32-34

Volume : 2 cubes (am flexible on both

Last edited by a moderator:
I told you yesterday exactly what that sub liked for an enclosure ... just build one .... it's not that hard
You said the XL Elite.... I just would like someone to draw up plans for me it’s been years since I designed a ported Box because I was out of car Audio and since this is a little more complicated build than a standard side port slot. I’m open to 1.75 or a bit higher but not sure about tuning.

u want sub and port on front? my box is 2.1 cf ad 30 sq in port total (in avatar) i can just design 1 tad smaller (not as wide probably already have 1 in my folder) but i can't do cut sheets.. how much bracing u want? how much port per cf? but idk rear port air velocity with out modeling like pm said.. how much power u running to it? they rec 1.75cf for it? dc usually smaller than that

u want sub and port on front? my box is 2.1 cf ad 30 sq in port total (in avatar) i can just design 1 tad smaller (not as wide probably already have 1 in my folder) but i can't do cut sheets.. how much bracing u want? how much port per cf? but idk rear port air velocity with out modeling like pm said.. how much power u running to it? they rec 1.75cf for it? dc usually smaller than that
I was toying with the idea of having the sub forward with a raised box port or round ports to fire through the package tray up off the back glass and into the cabin.

Specs for the XL 12” are the 2nd row from the left.

B57851DF-16AA-40F8-BC15-4468FB49DAEA.png

Any bigger box with a 32hz tune affects power handling... this is 2.1ft3 @ 32hz, how much power you planning to put on it?
vqdkBo.jpg
Feeding it just under 2k from my XTR1500.1D

Would you mind modeling 1.5 and 1.75cube at 32-34hz?

What are y’alls thoughts on front facing sub with a raised port to fire through the package tray into the cabin?
Whats the height from the top of a 16" tall enclosure to the top of the (rear deck) package tray?

Whats the height from the top of a 16" tall enclosure to the top of the (rear deck) package tray?
Just double checked I can clear 17” max but I would might not be able to get past a lip that gives 15.5” of height max.

I guess since you have the car you'll make the final call... how long of an external will you need to be flush with the rear deck using a 16" tall box?

Important... ill give you a Torres sheet to get started... modeled for your power

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess since you have the car you'll make the final call... how long of an external will you need to be flush with the rear deck using a 16" tall box?
Important... ill give you a Torres sheet to get started... modeled for your power
The box would have to 15.5” high max and 1.5” more to meet the deck. Maybe do a round port that I can extend up to meet the cutout in the deck.

Cant help ya then... the port needs to be way longer... maybe if you use a 90 degree elbow... 1.5"-2" external?... wow... thats a tall order... the best solution was a pair of 4" aeros or a single 5" round, but the length will be 24" at least... thoughts?... here is a quick and dirty example...

BJU5p7.jpg

I'd tweak it if I knew how you're gonna deal with the port length issue... that 5" round looks the best to me BTW for your power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.