Need Help with sub/amp setup for boat!

koryk

I am redoing the entire stereo system in my boat and need some advice.

I am running 4 10" subs in a sealed box.

I need some advice on what brand and model subs/amp to use. I am trying to do this on a budget but still want it to hit as hard as possible.

I was thinking 500 or 600 watt dual voice coil subs?

I am open to any suggestions to make it sound as good as possible. Thanks in advance.

Bare with me I'm definitely a newb at this.

need a budget. You do know the more power you run, the more its going to drain your boat's electrical system right?

Sealed and hitting hard does not go along well with eachother, you need to do a ported box.

I do, I plan on running 2 stand alone marine batteries for the system, and I already have individual batteries for each motor.

That being said, battery consumption is absolutely a concern. I was told to use digital amps because they use less power and produce less heat. Also, should I be running a capacitor?

I'd like to be as close to $1000 as possible.

I'm going to run a basic pioneer deck ($100), I have 6 Sony explode speakers that are in it now. I plan to replace and amp those when money allows but they'll work for now. I need everything else, subs wiring batteries, etc.

I can do a ported box, I have another forum discussing the box here.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/614330-need-help-building-custom-box-boat.html#post8675320

4 of these Dual 2 ohm in a series parallel configuration

SSA Shop - Sundown Audio E8 sub woofer

If you want a crazier woofer Go for the SA 10, email them up about their yardsale http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/177560-sundown-yard-sale-2-2-15-a.html

They scare you with all that but most members only got subs with minor cosmetic flaws on the back of the subs.

99 dollars for an SA 10 will be the strongest woofer you can get for your budget. IF you think your electrical system is strong enough, you can get 4 dual 4 ohm configuration and wire down to .5, the amp suggested can handle that easily if your batteries are strong.

here's what 2 of them can do on 1500 watts.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/sundown-audio/177560-sundown-yard-sale-2-2-15-a.html

and a legit 2000 watt amp

Q1-2200.2

Just make sure you protect it from moisture and if its in a cramped space, use some computer fans for cooling.

The SA-10'S are almost double in price. Will I get that much more performance out of them? I will also need to jump to a 2400w amp corect?

The batteries will be new but how long do you think it will play before they run out? Battery life is definitely a major concern. Will I need a capacitor?

Is your boat a inboard or outboard..... And what engine are you running. Don't waste your money on caps they are a marketing gimmick and actually hurt the performance of your system. As for your batteries marine specific batteries arent totally Necessary but if your looking to upgrade XS batteries makes a great product. You would need a maintenance free sealed AGM cell style battery.

I have realy good result with just 750 strong and clean power with three 10'' in my boat,good cone area with moderate power to keep the battery alive for long time, be sure you have a battery selector to do not drain the power of your starting batt...

The SA-10'S are almost double in price. Will I get that much more performance out of them? I will also need to jump to a 2400w amp corect?
The batteries will be new but how long do you think it will play before they run out? Battery life is definitely a major concern. Will I need a capacitor?
its worth the jump if you feed it properly along with designing a proper ported box. Make sure you use a battery isolator to separate starting batt from your accessories batteries. You'll want deep cycle AGM batteries, how long you last will depend on the quality and specs of your batteries.

i have a buddy bugging me to do a system in his boat - and im quite suprised to see everyone recomending normal car audio gear. isnt a boat subjected to a much harsher environment ? or are yall talking fresh water boats only ? where i stay boats go in both fresh / brackish / and salt waters.

how would normal car audio equipment hold up in a salt water traveling boat ?

I've been on here for a couple years but don't post much mostly just creepin. I do like seeing more boating guys that's for and as for marine rated equipment ya it's good stuff for the most part but over priced and not powerful enough in most cases. Idk about you other boating guy but our boats are spit shined at all points and NEVER get wet on the interior unless the carpet is being cleaned. I would suggest marine subwoofer and speakers if they will be exposed to sunlight for extended periods of time. The UV in sun light will break down the foam based surrounds rather quickly.

uploading images

The boat is an I/O 30' Scarab with twin 350's. Most of the audio equipment will be in the cabin where it should not be susceptible to the elements. The subs however will be under the rear seat and will be exposed. I am weather proofing the box and trying to seal them off as much as possible.

Wow kory she's a beauty, what year look to be about a 1984. I see you take very good care of your toys so I have no problem suggesting car audio equipment instead of marine. The two subs that will be exposed id watch the surround closely for deterioration. As for speaker I do tend to suggest marine based speakers because the tend to see the most sunlight, but car audio speakers that have a rubber based surround tend to last. A lot of ppl do end up putting coaxial style speakers in they tend to be a bit cheaper but I like the sound much better of component set. I'm going to list off a few companies you can look into for your speaker JL Audio, Wet Sounds, Exile Audio, Polk Audio, Rockford Fosgatd, Infinity Audio those companies all make marine grade speakers and all make a good product. A few non marine speaker companies would be RE Audio and Alpine. Alpine is currently doing a complete redesign of there marine line so there are a few places out there that still have some of there marine rated stuff. As for your power I would have one alternator charge your batteries for the boats functions, starters, nav lights, interior light and so on. Then the other alternator charger your batteries for your stereo that way there is no chance of killing the starter batteries.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.