Need suggestions. Diming lights still. With ?

cchheett
10+ year member

Oregon
I am having issues with dimming lights. Here is my setup.

Big 3

Hifonics BRZ1200.1 using 1000 watts @1 ohm

120 amp alt for my 99 ford ranger.

Kinetik HC2000 HIGH current cell "2000 watt"

I just bought the kinetik battery thinking that it would fix the problem, but it didn't fix it. Shouldn't that battery and a new 120 alt be enough for 1000 watts. Maybe i have something hooked wrong, but im pretty sure its not. Maybe something with the electrical stuff or something . I really just hope somebody can suggest something that I can check. I really don't want to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a HO alternator for 1000 watts. Thanks for your time.

I am having issues with dimming lights. Here is my setup.
Big 3

Hifonics BRZ1200.1 using 1000 watts @1 ohm

120 amp alt for my 99 ford ranger.

Kinetik HC2000 HIGH current cell "2000 watt"

I just bought the kinetik battery thinking that it would fix the problem, but it didn't fix it. Shouldn't that battery and a new 120 alt be enough for 1000 watts. Maybe i have something hooked wrong, but im pretty sure its not. Maybe something with the electrical stuff or something . I really just hope somebody can suggest something that I can check. I really don't want to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a HO alternator for 1000 watts. Thanks for your time.
What's your voltage at on full bore? Your headlights will dim even from minor drops and your eyes will pick it up, even if you're running at ideal voltages.

What voltage does your alternator charge at, and where do you drop to? I charge at 14.7 and have dropped to 14.4, and have noticed dimming on my floor lights in my car. Lighting can dim even with minimal voltage drop, but you definitely want to know how low you're going. Sometimes it's simply not fixable, where other people go as far as installing HID headlights to eliminate dim. That's what I did.

The **** 9 volt battery on my tester is dead, so i have to wait till to tomorrow to buy a new one,and i don't want to **** off my neighbors tonight . I will post back tomorrow for sure. When I get it going, should I be testing the battery while the car is on and my music is playing. And if so should i be watching the volts when my lights are flickering "I assume so" ..

The **** 9 volt battery on my tester is dead, so i have to wait till to tomorrow to buy a new one,and i don't want to **** off my neighbors tonight . I will post back tomorrow for sure. When I get it going, should I be testing the battery while the car is on and my music is playing. And if so should i be watching the volts when my lights are flickering "I assume so" ..
I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say here so what you wanna do is turn your headlights on, turn the system on full bore, and take the voltage across the battery.

Some cars will dim with any quick current demand, no matter how strong the electrical is.
HID's will take care of that issue....
+1 for HID's. No more blinking lights at all.

I'd say try another amp, just because hifonics are current hogs. If that's not it, check your voltage drop as others have said.

Finally tested the voltage.

Volts with nothing on at 12.81

I left my lights on and heater on and turned the radio on till my lights were dim and the lowest I got was 13.50 volts..

Last edited by a moderator:
Is 13.5 volts the reason My lights are getting dim. Its not just the lights that dim, my Equalizer get gets dim etc. Thanks for any info

Like others have stated, some cars just dim naturally even with the most minute voltage drop

I had a 500 rms system and my lights would dim when my electrical dropped from 14.4 to 14.2 - 14.1. Apparently when decelerating in my car, the lights only saw 9v in an effort to save gas mileage (Nice one Ford)

Upgraded my wiring to 4 gauge, and installed HIDs and the problem went away.

Upgraded my wiring to 4 gauge.
I already did the Big 3, so i assume you changed the 4 gauge wiring is like a harness or something for other wires etc. Is there anything i should check out by doing this. I don't really know where to start when i google it. Thanks for your time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.