New Car. Need Setup Advice (Audio Newbie)

boomer34
10+ year member

So, I just bought a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. I am looking to upgrade the 4 door speakers, and probably add an amp to power them. I have zero car audio experience.

I am not going to be putting in a sub, so I am wanting the best speakers that will give me the full spectrum of sound...at least as much as 6-3/4 speakers will do and within my budget.

I am wanting to leave the factory head unit in, but want to buy 4 door speakers and an amp (the doors hold 6-3/4 speakers). I am new to audio upgrades, so I am needing some help.

I have been told I should go with a component system up front, and then just 2 coax speakers in the rear doors.

Any advice and recommendations on a quality component system, coax speakers for the back doors, and a 4-channel amp to power all of it? (I am wanting to stay under $500 for the setup)

Ok...thanks for the heads up. I have not heard of that before, but I am assuming the stereo shop I take it to to install everything will know what is needed and be able to get me setup. My current plan is to buy the speakers and amp online, and just pay my local shop to install everything.

Do not take it to a shop to do the install or there will go your 500 dollars budget... You will not get the full spectrum with just speakers but with a good set of speakers, amp, and proper install you can get most... I would start with a good set of comps up front but take the time to deadener your doors properly to get the best out of them...

Do not take it to a shop to do the install or there will go your 500 dollars budget... You will not get the full spectrum with just speakers but with a good set of speakers' date=' amp, and proper install you can get most... I would start with a good set of comps up front but take the time to deadener your doors properly to get the best out of them...[/quote']

Ok...so where should I have the speakers and amp installed if I don't take it to a local shop?

I live in Dallas...

Thanks for the input!

I called a local stereo shop in Dallas that I have read good reviews on, and talked to them...it seemed like they really push Alpine products. He said since I was not planning on adding a sub, that I should probably just go with 4 coax speakers in the 4 doors, and not deal with a component setup...

But everyone else is advising components up front. He said if I buy from them, then installation is free, otherwise, it would be 129 to install speakers and a amp.

Thoughts?

I second what Jakerrr said, because a lot of the fun energy in music comes from the sub bass. Even with the availability of drop-in small subwoofers for many vehicles today, even a single enclosed subwoofer can far exceed the output of the small subs.

and last but not least are you looking for new or used equipment.as for as speakers ,do a component set up frt,mat all the doors and do just mids in the rear doors for a rear fill.and i agree you may wanna look into at least a 8" sub if nothing else.i can help you with everything you need i am a dealer here ,and also from the dallas area .dont know any good shops there anymore ,its been a while since i lived there.may be able to find a local who can install everything for you .but even 129 for all the stuff installed isn;t that bad.

Well...my first step has to just be speakers and a 4 channel amp. I guess a sub could come down the road.

What components and coax's should I look for?

I have looked hard at these:

**Infinity Kappa 60.9cs components and then the Infinity Kappa 62.9i coax in the back doors

**JL Audio C2650 components and then the JL Audio C2-650X in the back doors

Also heard good things about the Polk DB series stuff...

A few quick questions on install...

I have heard that I need to do something to my doors to improve the sound quality...what exactly is that?

Just wanting to make sure to know what to ask the installer to do, so he will do a quality job

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.