New car speakers suggestions (220W RMS to each speaker).

Participant count
  • Participant list

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Dallas
Found out that my GZ 650SQ speakers went bad and I currently have the JBL 62C in there right now and I hate them.

Too bright for my liking (even the installer mentioned that they where a little on the bright side). I remember lots of people who ran them either placed the tweeter low on the door or set the crossover to -3db.

I'm looking to replace them (my head hurts at higher volumes, issue I never had with my previous two sets).

I"m looking for a set that has good power handling and more of a soft sound for both the mids and tweeter.

The amp I'm running (two channel soundqubed amp) does 220RMS to each speaker. The alternator and battery have both been upgraded so I'm getting good power.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Another thing to mention. I have the amp gain set to 9 o clock. With the JBL's the volume isn't getting what I would consider loud (was playing it earlier on 32 out of 35 volume and I didn't think it was that loud at all).

I noticed my Ground Zero's where signficantly louder (not sure if it was because they had higher power handling or if they where simply just a better set of speakers overall).

i'm running 200 watts to each speaker so i'm assuming I can get them at least louder than the stock speakers (JBL's currently are about as loud as my stock door speakers)

Something else is going on besides your speakers not sounding good and blowing them, too bright. @Jeffdachef need some expert advise.

Is/was the gain on the amp set correctly? What about big 3? Is it done? You mentioned a new alt and new battery.

What HU are you currently running? Might be the culprit of your issues. Cheap brands will make speakers sound ******.

Found out that my GZ 650SQ speakers went bad and I currently have the JBL 62C in there right now and I hate them.
Too bright for my liking (even the installer mentioned that they where a little on the bright side). I remember lots of people who ran them either placed the tweeter low on the door or set the crossover to -3db.

I'm looking to replace them (my head hurts at higher volumes, issue I never had with my previous two sets).

I"m looking for a set that has good power handling and more of a soft sound for both the mids and tweeter.

The amp I'm running (two channel soundqubed amp) does 220RMS to each speaker. The alternator and battery have both been upgraded so I'm getting good power.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Another thing to mention. I have the amp gain set to 9 o clock. With the JBL's the volume isn't getting what I would consider loud (was playing it earlier on 32 out of 35 volume and I didn't think it was that loud at all).

I noticed my Ground Zero's where signficantly louder (not sure if it was because they had higher power handling or if they where simply just a better set of speakers overall).

i'm running 200 watts to each speaker so i'm assuming I can get them at least louder than the stock speakers (JBL's currently are about as loud as my stock door speakers)
This is nothing amp gain or whatever you think can solve this is pure head unit. I used to think they were extremely sharp, sibilant and bright as well. I hated them. however once i got my 80 prs in with a quick tune, they became buttery smooth and loud. Completely different speaker with a proper SQ tune. you need to control the 3.15khz to 5khz to 8khz range.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Something else is going on besides your speakers not sounding good and blowing them, too bright. @Jeffdachef need some expert advise.

Is/was the gain on the amp set correctly? What about big 3? Is it done? You mentioned a new alt and new battery.

What HU are you currently running? Might be the culprit of your issues. Cheap brands will make speakers sound ******.[/QUOTE] The big 3 was done. The battery is XS 3400D and the alternator is Singer 270A with ELD bypass

Gain I have at 9 o clock (was told the output voltage of my Alpine 153BT is strong and that the soundqubed gain knobs are sensitive to I shouldn't go crazy on the knob). Here's a picture of the knob before I adjusted it http://imgur.com/biDYzV6

This is the headunit I have installed https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dhFbfHFYR4H/p_500CDE153B/Alpine-CDE-153BT.html

Edit: I think someone lied about me having a strong preamp volt. I looked it up and its 2V which doesn't seem crazy (i've seen plenty of headunits thats have 4 to 5V). I only have the gain set to a little over 1/4th on the knob so it might not be getting enough signal

[quote name='Jeffdachef']This is nothing amp gain or whatever you think can solve this is pure head unit. I used to think they were extremely sharp, sibilant and bright as well. I hated them. however once i got my 80 prs in with a quick tune, they became buttery smooth and loud. Completely different speaker with a proper SQ tune. you need to control the 3.15khz to 5khz to 8khz range.[/QUOTE] I'll try to play with it. I've tried all the EQ presets and it didn't help. I tried the bass engine SQ which adjust all the crossovers/EQ settings and it sounds great minus the tweeter.

I installed an app on the phone last night which allows me to browse/program the headunit via phone. Users are able to upload there completed EQ adjustments and I can try them all out. Was thinking about trying out some of the other users settings and seeing if I like it.

Last thing about volume. I noticed theres an option on the heaunit called "source volume" that goes from 0 to +14db. At about +6 DB is makes my music sound as loud as I want it to sound but i'm not sure if this setting is artificially making it louder (thus making it distorted or inducing clipping).

Thanks for all the replies

The big 3 was done. The battery is XS 3400D and the alternator is Singer 270A with ELD bypass
Gain I have at 9 o clock (was told the output voltage of my Alpine 153BT is strong and that the soundqubed gain knobs are sensitive to I shouldn't go crazy on the knob). Here's a picture of the knob before I adjusted it Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This is the headunit I have installed https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dhFbfHFYR4H/p_500CDE153B/Alpine-CDE-153BT.html

Edit: I think someone lied about me having a strong preamp volt. I looked it up and its 2V which doesn't seem crazy (i've seen plenty of headunits thats have 4 to 5V). I only have the gain set to a little over 1/4th on the knob so it might not be getting enough signal

I'll try to play with it. I've tried all the EQ presets and it didn't help. I tried the bass engine SQ which adjust all the crossovers/EQ settings and it sounds great minus the tweeter.

I installed an app on the phone last night which allows me to browse/program the headunit via phone. Users are able to upload there completed EQ adjustments and I can try them all out. Was thinking about trying out some of the other users settings and seeing if I like it.

Last thing about volume. I noticed theres an option on the heaunit called "source volume" that goes from 0 to +14db. At about +6 DB is makes my music sound as loud as I want it to sound but i'm not sure if this setting is artificially making it louder (thus making it distorted or inducing clipping).

you dont use presets. You need to do custom EQ and really play with it. The source level is basically a gain adjuster for each source you use aka usb, bluetooth aux. It makes it so when you swap between then, the volume difference between the sources is minimal.

You are basically undergained to hell atm along with improperly and half @ssed tuned setup head unit settings wise. This is pure user error rather than the tweets actually being bad.

Really learn how to use your custom PARAMETRIC EQ MANUALLY. Learn what frequency does what and choose the right frequencies to control with your EQ. You can download the alpine tune it app to make things easier.

Like i said, you need to lower the 5khz to 8khz range. you can choose the center point anywhere between those frequencies on your EQ and lower them down. The Q factor affects the frequencies surrounding the center frequency so adjust those values until you solve the problem. JUST PLAY WITH IT FOR HOURS until you fully understand it. No preset will do anything for you because its their car, their setups their acoustics, its not gonna be the same as your car and speakers.

I was told that was the output of the amp and my voltage is high (14.6V). It seems like a decent amp, i'm sure i'm getting at least 150RMS to each speaker for sure
you'll be lucky if you are seeing 30-50 watts per speaker if you are undergained and improperly setup. Gain settings determine power output as well as head unit volume/eq/SLA/loudness/bass boost along with even your source and your music files along with the recording levels in the music. Not even accounting what impedance rise does to your real world rms output either. All of that determine amplifier power output. Its not "oh i hooked up a 200 watt amp that must mean the speakers are seeing 200 watts".

you dont use presets. You need to do custom EQ and really play with it. The source level is basically a gain adjuster for each source you use aka usb, bluetooth aux. It makes it so when you swap between then, the volume difference between the sources is minimal.
You are basically undergained to hell atm along with improperly and half @ssed tuned setup head unit settings wise. This is pure user error rather than the tweets actually being bad.

Really learn how to use your custom PARAMETRIC EQ MANUALLY. Learn what frequency does what and choose the right frequencies to control with your EQ. You can download the alpine tune it app to make things easier.

Like i said, you need to lower the 5khz to 8khz range. you can choose the center point anywhere between those frequencies on your EQ and lower them down. The Q factor affects the frequencies surrounding the center frequency so adjust those values until you solve the problem. JUST PLAY WITH IT FOR HOURS until you fully understand it. No preset will do anything for you because its their car, their setups their acoustics, its not gonna be the same as your car and speakers.
Okay it's starting to make sense. I downloaded the alpine tune it app and have it hooked up to my headunit. I'll starting playing with it tomorrow
Band 7 is 2 to 7.2k Hz with the stock center frequency at 4k and band 8 is is 5.8 to 12k Hz with the stock center frequency at 8K. I'll set everything to flat and start messing with bands 7 and 8.

For gain i'll play the CD in my player (Hell Freezes Over) at 26 out of 35 volume and adjust the gain knob on the amp till I get to a normal listening volume.

The big 3 was done. The battery is XS 3400D and the alternator is Singer 270A with ELD bypass
Gain I have at 9 o clock (was told the output voltage of my Alpine 153BT is strong and that the soundqubed gain knobs are sensitive to I shouldn't go crazy on the knob). Here's a picture of the knob before I adjusted it Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I'll try to play with it. I've tried all the EQ presets and it didn't help. I tried the bass engine SQ which adjust all the crossovers/EQ settings and it sounds great minus the tweeter.

Bingo. No wonder your having issues. Yeah looks like someone lied to you, just more about a sale than anything. And Jeff beat me to the next reply I was gonna make. 2 volts is way too low. Car audio mfgr's do that to keep noise level low/down. But 4-5 volts is making it's way back. I remember when HU had 8 volts. That was a lot. My Alpine has 4 volts and my Clarion has 5 volts.

pre out voltage doesnt matter that much it just means different gain settings. Just people on here are too afraid of higher gain settings for some reason when its actually just relative to your pre-out so even if you have high gain settings, if your preout is weak, you still arent anywhere close to clipping with high gain settings.

People think they are louder with a high pre-out voltage just in reality they just set their gains wrong in the first place with 2 volts.

pre out voltage doesnt matter that much it just means different gain settings. Just people on here are too afraid of higher gain settings for some reason when its actually just relative to your pre-out so even if you have high gain settings, if your preout is weak, you still arent anywhere close to clipping with high gain settings.
People think they are louder with a high pre-out voltage just in reality they just set their gains wrong in the first place with 2 volts.
Yeah. In reality, it probably doesn't really matter. I guess with a higher HU preamp voltage, the ability to keep your gains lower on your amp to match the HU could give you peace of mind, I suppose. I've never really been able to tell an audible difference...probably just the placebo effect.

Yeah. In reality, it probably doesn't really matter. I guess with a higher HU preamp voltage, the ability to keep your gains lower on your amp to match the HU could give you peace of mind, I suppose. I've never really been able to tell an audible difference...probably just the placebo effect.
definitely placebo effect. However the peace of mind thing is no joke. I still freak out if the gain has to be over 50% to get output even though i know its proper and just matches the pre-out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.