New to forums questions about audio setup!

Hey guys, brand new here. One of my co-workers recommended ya'll.

So... I have a 2006 Subaru WRX STi that just had all of the audio equipment stolen. I was running an older sub setup that well.. I had dealt with. I hadn't really wanted to spend the money to upgrade it.. but now I have no choice!

So, here's what I had;

a Kenwood Excelon DDX-8901HD

8GA wire(I think, could be 6)

2 Kicker C12 4ohm 150watt rms subs in a slotted pre-fab box. They were powered by a bazooka

550watt amp(don't judge me, I was extremely limited of means when I bought them >.>)

These were in a slotted box, width 34" x Height 13-1/4" x Depth 16"

Constructed with a 1" MDF Front & 3/4" Sides

(this is what a quick google search gave me, looks identical to what I had)

To give you an idea of how old they were, they were installed by Circuit City...

Now.. since i'm starting fresh, I took some idea's from said co-worker, and were working out a gameplan for new audio.

I'll probably go along with something like the same headunit(unless I can find one that doesn't bleach out in the sun so bad.. god that mad me mad)

Now, for the rest of it.. I have Infinity Kapa's in the doors, 2 6" in front and 2 5x7" in the rear doors.

I would like to stick with 12's, i've always liked the stronger bass hit(too much electronic music I guess)

Sorry, the car is at the auto-body shop still so I can't give you accurate trunk measurements.. but the last box was pretty damned big, and it fit.

For budget? I would like to hopefully spend less than 1200 or so on the subs/enclosure/amp/wiring

Right now, we have kinda settled on a;

Fosgate R1200-1D for the amp(1200w monoblock@2ohms)

Were debating between a set of Fosgate P3D2-12's or JL Audio 12w3v3(tho I think these are only 500watt rms vs the 600 the Fosgates have)

Upgrading to 2GA wire

He wants to add a Cap.. I don't know enough about them!

So here I am in all my noobishniss asking for help! What would you guys recommend? I would like to stick with solid sq and good volume but hey! what do I know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Anatreth edit ( to fix some numbers, and sorry if this should be in general discussion! I just noticed I posted to the subs only subforum //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it has a factory alarm with added piezo's in the front quarter panels. I haven't decided on which aftermarket alarm system to use now though. Will be removing access to the trunk and hood from inside the car, adding some hoodpins, a secondary power source, and changing all bolts/screws to a random hex/allen/torx mix with locktite. Also going to add a chain to the rear of the next head unit, and possibly something to the bolted down box once it's replaced.

The car doesn't have fold down rear seats, so restricting access to the trunk will make everything much more time consuming.

Also looking into getting it re-keyed and remote freq. changed a subaru dealership.

The security side of things is there, I just didn't list it all.

Well, it has a factory alarm with added piezo's in the front quarter panels. I haven't decided on which aftermarket alarm system to use now though. Will be removing access to the trunk and hood from inside the car, adding some hoodpins, a secondary power source, and changing all bolts/screws to a random hex/allen/torx mix with locktite. Also going to add a chain to the rear of the next head unit, and possibly something to the bolted down box once it's replaced. The car doesn't have fold down rear seats, so restricting access to the trunk will make everything much more time consuming.

Also looking into getting it re-keyed and remote freq. changed a subaru dealership.

The security side of things is there, I just didn't list it all.
I can't stand a thief myself...Did they get everything or most of it ? I didnt read everything up there

I can't stand a thief myself...Did they get everything or most of it ? I didnt read everything up there
Everything. Head unit, wiring harness, subs, amp. The whole kit. Stepped on the front bumper cover, shattering it when they got into the engine bay to disconnect the battery. Banged up the read bumper cover, and took a chip out of the drivers side window.

Like a 12 day repair at the body shop. It's amazingly aggravating.

The problem I have, is that I drive a company vehicle for work.. so the car gets to sit in its covered parking spot at my appts... all day. Alone. And there's nothing I can do about it :/

Everything. Head unit, wiring harness, subs, amp. The whole kit. Stepped on the front bumper cover, shattering it when they got into the engine bay to disconnect the battery. Banged up the read bumper cover, and took a chip out of the drivers side window. Like a 12 day repair at the body shop. It's amazingly aggravating.

The problem I have, is that I drive a company vehicle for work.. so the car gets to sit in its covered parking spot at my appts... all day. Alone. And there's nothing I can do about it :/
Anyway of getting a security camera on it ? It would worry me that they might come back

Anyway of getting a security camera on it ? It would worry me that they might come back
Sadly no, my covered parking spot isn't even in front of my building. It's on the other side of the complex. I have been tempted to just give up the covered parking spot and deal with the door dings. At least then it's near my building...

PPI phantom 900.4 for a mid amp, 170.fu audio 750's for 12's,335.

(I don't have nearly the knowledge of others on here, but someone recommended their 15 to me, and it's taken 2.5x the rated rms in a 5 cu box without a whimper.)

Used 1500ish watt amp from a reputable seller on here 200-300...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/620652-twisted-sounds-1-8k.html
Ok, I get the subs. Looking at their site.. they look legit. on sale for like 200 each right now too for the 12's. The build time wait is kinda sadface tho

You would recommend an amp for the other interior speakers? thats what I assume the PPI is for..

As for the amp.. wouldn't the R1200-1D work just fine with those FU audio subs?

And what to do about a box?

Ok, I get the subs. Looking at their site.. they look legit. on sale for like 200 each right now too for the 12's. The build time wait is kinda sadface tho
You would recommend an amp for the other interior speakers? thats what I assume the PPI is for..

As for the amp.. wouldn't the R1200-1D work just fine with those FU audio subs?

And what to do about a box?
For budget's sake, I'd go with a single 15 in a properly built box on a 1000 rms amp. The enclosure is something you cannot just buy online or at some audio shop thats pre-made. With heavy hitting subs you'll need a properly designed ported enclosure tuned to the music you listen to. With your trunk size, if you think your old box was too big, You definitely dont have room for two 12s. Maybe 1 15 max or a beefy 12. REAL boxes take up a lot of space. SPACE makes BASS. If you have basic woodworking skills or hell, just have home depot make the cuts and take home the wood, glue and screw. It'll be cheaper than buying one and sound 10000000x better.

With legit subs, they are built in the US and take awhile to build but you are getting top quality parts vs off the shelf chinese pre-made subs with weak voice coils, motors etc..

Don't waste your time with 2 ga get a 1/0 kit. Soundqubed check them out amps and subs are great for budget installs.

For budget's sake, I'd go with a single 15 in a properly built box on a 1000 rms amp. The enclosure is something you cannot just buy online or at some audio shop thats pre-made. With heavy hitting subs you'll need a properly designed ported enclosure tuned to the music you listen to. With your trunk size, if you think your old box was too big, You definitely dont have room for two 12s. Maybe 1 15 max or a beefy 12. REAL boxes take up a lot of space. SPACE makes BASS. If you have basic woodworking skills or hell, just have home depot make the cuts and take home the wood, glue and screw. It'll be cheaper than buying one and sound 10000000x better.
With legit subs, they are built in the US and take awhile to build but you are getting top quality parts vs off the shelf chinese pre-made subs with weak voice coils, motors etc..
I would hope I have enough space for 2 12's, which is kinda where I would like to stick(mainly because I have no experience with anything else)

I was looking through the forums, and it looks like there's some good resources here for people who make/design boxes.. I'm sure I can work something out with someone once I have proper dimensions for my trunkspace.

As for the time, I'm more then happy to wait for quality.. i'm just impatient haha

They even took the time to steal your wiring!! that's crazy.
Tell me about it! it's rediculous

Don't waste your time with 2 ga get a 1/0 kit. Soundqubed check them out amps and subs are great for budget installs.
I was actually debating that. I was on the fence about just going 0ga, but I didn't wanna oversize the wiring for what I needed...

Take a step away from your coworker helping you out, and stick to the people on this forum for advice.
Sir, that's why i'm here talking to the collective knowledge here right now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.