nice, reasonable HU??

66ca
10+ year member

any suggestions on a decent SQ HU for not much money? Have an 05 mustang with the factory stuff in it and want to upgrade a little. Plan on putting new door speakers in and a 12" in the trunk and amp them both. Thinking of Alpine or Eclipse....any suggestions?

What exactly are we defining as 'everything'?? For 30 or 45 bucks more get 3 band EQ, 3 pairs of pre amp outputs, and built-in IPOD control.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP500/Pioneer-DEH-P5000UB.html?tp=5684

Or 7 band EQ, 2 pairs of 5 volt pre outs, also built in IPOD control, similar price difference.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAHD59/JVC-Arsenal-KD-AHD59.html?tp=5684

Alpine has long been a forum boner but I don't care what anybody tells you, value for the money is no longer their strong point. You can go right up to the second best head unit in their lineup and for built-in content there's really no difference besides pre-out voltage, # of outputs, and whether the IPOD cable is included. Other brands are offering a much better variety of choices to get an inexpensive head unit packaged with the features you want.

Alpines are the best out there this one has built in full speed ipod connector, usb port, aux port and much more plenty for him. Any alpine head unit is 100 times better than any other head unit especially pioneer.

How do we know what's plenty for him when he didn't give a feature list or a specific budget. Unless you have the 9887, enjoy your bass and treble controls and you have fun paying extra to 'unlock' the most useful SQ features in your radios. I have opened myself up to a world in which you can actually get a head unit with some built in content rather than being railroaded into a choice of either buying the top of the line or buying that manufacturer's processing kit. Crazy, isn't it... some manufacturers build things in and include them in the price, and they do it in a few different configurations on a number of different models so more people have a chance of finding a self-contained head unit somewhere in the lineup with features included that they like.

You are why Alpine can get away with what they've done to their new line. 'It's the best, just because it says Alpine on the box!!!'

x2 on the JVC 8500 for a nice budget SQ deck.

I have the JVC 7500, which is nice as well, I just can't go active with mine.

Also LOL to the comment about Alpine being better than anyone else out there. I believe blackdragonaudi is a sheltered man. I used to be the same way, but there is better out there, especially if on a budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-DXZ785USB-Alignment-Crossover-Satellite/dp/B0012NEZ8C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238004317&sr=8-1

Cannot be beat for the money. USB, active crossovers built-in, time alignment, 6V pre-outs, etc. Does not have the most robust EQ, but if you buy some "good" speakers, you'll be fine.

I work at BB and can get the 9886 for $200. I still think it's a worthless HU. The iPod decks are nice, aside from the very limited EQ. The 9887 is very nice, but the DXZ785 offers so much stuff for so much less.

the clarion dxz785usb looks to be a pretty good unit. the only downside to it that i saw is it looks like it's only got a 3 band eq with 9 preset curves. other than that, it seems really cool. i'd go for it if i didn't have the unit i've got already. i do have a couple of people coming to me looking for a good one and now i know what i can offer. and it's such a great price too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.