noob power wire question

I COULD have, I just had the money NOT TO HAVE TO!!
John Kuthe...

I have the money not to do things too but thats stupid if you know how to do it and have the time.. Clearly you have plenty of time from all the BS you post on here... So I guess you don't have the skill to do anything yourself.

So, I was also wondering. It's probably a stupid question but how do I determine how much amps I need when I get fuse holders/blocks? If I run one 4 gauge power wire to d block from the battery, then is one 120 fuse holder enough at the terminal? But how do I determine what rated fuse I need for the 2x power wires after the d-block to the amps? Like, I got 2x 120 fuse holders from the 2x amp kits I ordered. I think same or basically like these. https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Gauge-Line-Mini-Holder/dp/B00XYQWX7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489350805&sr=8-1&keywords=knukonceptz%2Bfuse&th=1 I think I read somewhere that using too big of a rated fuse than is needed is actually bad?

So, I was also wondering. It's probably a stupid question but how do I determine how much amps I need when I get fuse holders/blocks? If I run one 4 gauge power wire to d block from the battery, then is one 120 fuse holder enough at the terminal? But how do I determine what rated fuse I need for the 2x power wires after the d-block to the amps? Like, I got 2x 120 fuse holders from the 2x amp kits I ordered. I think same or basically like these. https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Gauge-Line-Mini-Holder/dp/B00XYQWX7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489350805&sr=8-1&keywords=knukonceptz%2Bfuse&th=1 I think I read somewhere that using too big of a rated fuse than is needed is actually bad?
Yeah fuse size mostly about wire size u use.. I think u should just do 1 wire run and split at amp with dist block., don't cost much and u will have 1 less fuse under hood and won't have to "hide" a 2nd power wire.. ps I'm thinking of getting same amp 500.1 that u have., and 4ga wire I use 80amp fuse chart I saw says no larger than 125a for 4 ga wire..

The rockford amp says 50 amp fuse recommended and the ss amp has 2x40amp fuses in it so that is 130 amps. Fuse under the hood off of the battery with 150 amp fuse, you could probably even do a 120 amp fuse if you have that laying around, I believe that what came with your kit. Then a 50 amp fuse off the distribution block to the Rockford amp and a 80 amp fuse off the distribution block to the ss amp.

I tried to look it up but couldn't really find any answer. Are you supposed to or do you use fuses when connecting your speakers and speaker wires too? Is it good practice too?

edit: Wait, so I'm confused. Do I determine what type of fuse I need based on the hardware rating or based on the wire gauge size?

Last edited by a moderator:
I fuse to the hardware demands that the manufacturer recommends. The hardware demands should always be equal or less than the wires capacity anyways so this is the way I have always done it. I have never really researched it but it has always seemed to work fine for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.