Old equipment ready to be revitalized, how do I wire this again?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BluJay

In a nutshell, I sold my jeep years ago and have had this “system” sitting in my garage since I sold it. I drive a Nissan frontier now so it has its own system that is not compatible with this one.

Current day- I picked up a 92 civic for my son and I am working on putting this old “system” in for him as a surprise. But I no longer understand 100% what im doing.

Please Advice-

2 – 12’ Single coil 4ohm subs with RMS of 400 and peek of 800

1 – Class D-Mono capable of 2-8ohm

CP@4ohm = 300w or max 600w

CP@2ohm 600w or max 1000w

In a quad ported, plexy face box. Sharing all airspace inside..

My main concern is how to wire the subs correctly and for most benefit.

I can’t remember the correct way, and there are so many sites with different layouts so I wanted to get some input from live people.

So do I wire two separate wires from the block to the subs individually

Or

Do I run the B+ to S+ then S- to S2+ then S2- to B- ?

B=Block S=Sub S2=sub 2

Or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Blujay

Wire like this:

2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.gif

So your sayings run it parallel, if I remember correctly. That will lower the ohms and the way's I described will raise it?

Lowering will allow for higher watts to be delivered and rising will make up for clarity?

Recap-

Wiring it my way will rise to 8ohm? And parallel will make it the correct 2ohm?

What about running them series, wont that give the same effect?

Thanks for the input

Blujay

As for pics, Ill get some asap!

Yes, run parallel. This will lower the ohms shown to the amp. The way you describe it will raise it to 8ohms(this is series wiring). Lowering will allow for the amp to put out more watts, however in some cases you have to be careful because some amps are not stable once you get too low. According to the specs of your amp, wiring at 2 ohms is fine. Technically wiring higher is supposed to yield less distortion, but the difference is so minute that it certainly won't be audible to an untrained ear. Judging by your description of the box(quad ported, plexi face), tells me you have a prefab bandpass box. It'll can get loud at a certain frequency, but will sound fairly crappy either way. In other words, with this setup, I would not be concerned about sound quality.

Thank you daboy you defiantly got the juices flowing.. What you described about the box rings a bell.. I think I was instructed it was best with my subs at 35?...

Also, I was deliberating closing 2 of the 4 ports... and adding some pillow stuffing inside... How would this effect the band pass box specifically.. its simmilar to a 4th bandpass. They outward fire in a small SEALED chamber with Plexiglas and the ports are on the in fire side that shares chamber with both subs....

Also whats anyone's experence with how the box faces. The jeep was a suv so it was rear facing, bouncing off the tailgate (worked perfectly). This is a 92 civic 4 door, should I have the ports blow through into the cab or rear face it and have it bounce around the trunk?

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'm sure he's going to be super excited.

Blujay

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how you should orient the box really. I'd say face rear. However, I will say that plugging two of the ports will significantly raise tuning, which is not a good thing when the box is likely tuned too high already(most likely tuned over 35hz). So I don't think plugging 2 ports will work. I'm inclined to say plug them all to get the best sound, but I'm not sure how that will work out with the plexi chamber so I don't want to give advice on that as I truly don't know what the outcome will be

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.