partially active

Participant count
  • Participant list

jstutzman
10+ year member

nc
As many know, i have been struggling lately trying to get my clarion components to sound decent in the door mounted position of my blazer. This is more of a generic question. I have been reading about active crossovers and sound processors. It appears that active is really the way to go fundamentally. I read this paper http://www.hybrid-audio.com/White%20...r%20System.pdf

and have a few questions. It appears they know the freq that the mid woofers start to roll off, therefore can tune the tweeter effectively. If i wanted to do this with my clarions, if my mid woofer dont start rolling off until say 6KHz and my tweeter is crossed over using the provided crossover for tweeter only, would this be very noticeable? Also with the provided crossovers is it possible to just run from the amp, to the mid driver, then to the crossover and only come out of the crossover to the tweeter?. Seems like this would work well as long as the mid woofer which is 5.25 dont try playing freqs, above 4k, which is where the stock crossovers are tuned.

Second question, when looking at 4 channel amps, i don't see many of them that offer HP filters much above 500Hz or so. I believe i have only found two of them that would do that, they had a x10 function. How do most people run tweeters and mids separate with a 4 channel amp. I'm guessing an processor of sorts before the amp that would have separate outputs. Does anyone know of an amp that you can go into with one set of RCA's and come out with two separate outputs, one to mid and one to tweeter, with the tweeter having an adjustable xover on the amp as well.

Here is one of the 4 channel amps that seem to be able to do what i want it to do. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+APX490M.html# Does anyone see a problem using this amp with one input and out to woofer and tweeter separately. Other solutions will be appreciated. I just dont want to purchase an stand alone active crossover before the amp, if something like this will work.

1. above my head

2. you have to have a head unit that can run 3-way (tweet, mid sub - active) or run an external processor. if you are only supplying one input to the amp you cannot run active.

I have tried running my mids directly off the amp and my tweeters through the crossover. my mids sounded much much better but i ran into the problem of them playing too high which to me made higher frequencies and vocals a little too overpowering. The eq helped a lil tho. an external processor or hu that runs active is the way to go. but its not bad if you don't have the money to run active atm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.