Placement of Sub and port for best response.

Participant count
  • Participant list

AxT4430
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Akron, OH
First, Response is subjectively defined by me as audibly louder to my ear with clarity.

Next, I have a honda civic 4 door. My sub and port face backwards at the trunk hatch. I have the hatch deadened, its a flat surface.

Will I theoretically experience better response facing the sub/port forward or sub/port backwards facing. Assuming seats up or down for both.

My subwoofer is a 15", it has a few inches between the top of box and bottom of trunk lid. Its about as wide as trunk as well.

sub and port back is generally the loudest unless u face forward and seal off another good option is sub forward port to side firing off the quarter panel
Maybe im confused, but how it an advantage to fire off into the quarter panel, in the trunk? Anyhow., box and sub are in car already. Its an l port box, so if i flip it around, without sealing it, will it be advantageous? If i do this, do i have to worry about back pressure if seats up? Granted box is back away from

Seat so excursion will not hit seat.

what u want in a trunk is something for the sound waves to load off of like the trunk lid or quarter panel so the sound wave has time to develop.. i turned my box around without sealing and it sounded like azz and was less output when firing to the rear...while sealing completely off works i dont like the sound personally

what u want in a trunk is something for the sound waves to load off of like the trunk lid or quarter panel so the sound wave has time to develop.. i turned my box around without sealing and it sounded like azz and was less output when firing to the rear...while sealing completely off works i dont like the sound personally
Wait.. why would non sealing have a much different effect then sealing off trunk? Both arent loading, and theoretically wouldnt as much output escape the trunk with a non sealed then a sealed? Atleast roughly equivalent?

****, im gunna have to move my large as box to test this..

OP it's as simple as trying it both ways and letting your ears decide. Try forward sealed off with some pillows/blankets or whatever. Also try it forward not sealed off. Even though in theory if forward firing and not sealed off you should have issues, but the loudest trunk cars fire forward and don't seal it off. And some of them open their trunk during the run...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.