plate amp + sub receiver help

vosschs
5,000+ posts

Banned
ok heres what i want to accomplish.... im getting a sub and plate amp... and i have a receiver already... is that all i need for the sub to work? just hook the sub to the plate amp then to the receiveR? how do i make that connection... i dont really know that much about HT.

also what is that cable/adapter i need to connect my receiver to my HT receiver.....

all help is appreciated

If your receiver has an RCA sub out, use a mono rca cable and run it to the input on the plate amp (you can use a y-adapter to utilize the left/right channel of the inputs if you want). If your receiver does NOT have an RCA sub out, but speaker terminals for the sub, you can run a line-out convertor to convert the signal to RCA or simply wire the sub directly to the receiver and skip the plate amp. If you go with the latter, your enclosure would sipmly have the sub and a terminal cup and no attached plate amp...I think thats all correct, somone correct me if I'm wrong.

most plate amps have line level inputs that utilize the low pass crossover. u can use one of ur receiver speaker wire outs to connect. then again, that will leave with you only 1 speaker and 1 sub. what plate amp do u have?

Methinks you mean high-level inputs, line-level inputs require a subwoofer preout, high level inputs just require a parallel wire to be run from the speaker terminals.

most 2 channel recievers have 4 sets of speaker terminals,run 2 speakers of 2 sets,then run the other 2 sets from the reciever to the inputs on the plate amp

I just found a reciever laying around my house that has a RCA output for a sub. what is the advantage to using a y cable to utilize the left and right inputs? Is that any better than just connecting the mono rca cable to the amp? Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.