Please help me choose a subwoofer... Happy new year!

Participant count
  • Participant list
w6 and i know ill prolly get flamed for it but the w6 has never not impressed me in a sealed box. re next, then the polk it's nice it doesnt get real loud but is very accurate, the sa ismore of a ported box sub from what ive head from the people around me.

as long as the price is right i say w6 otherwise dayton HO

well my all time favorite sealed box sub is a mach5 ixl but finding one in good shape is **** near impossible. what exactly are u trying to achieve with the bass? spl. sql, sq

anyway id love to run jl w6s but my z12s are just to **** good to me. but they are in 4.2 cubes ported box really closer to 5.5 cubes after port displacement

Looking for sq but I do want them to get loud... I had original jl 12w 6s 2 12's and it was almost **** perfect , I'm looking to get some new subs and want to know my options 7 years latter. I like the tight sealed sound. So should I stick with the JLS or is there a better price point option with the comparable or better sq output .

well u can get the tight sealed sound ported as well with a good box design but tbh if you can get the jls for around 350 per id go that route other wise id try a pair of image dynamics idq12s another one of my favs

Do you know what kind of power you will run to your sub stage? If you're limited on power (say only 300watt amp channel), get the Image Dynamics IDQv3. It's probably the most efficient from the bunch, but will handle higher wattage if you have it. It should work well in 1-1.2cu ft sealed box. SA-12 has much lower sensitivity than IDQ in sealed box and seems more suited for vented/ported box use. If you google on the issue, there have been endless debates on the topic of IDQv3 vs W6v2. I don't think they have ever reached any meaningful conclusion. Just flip a coin or buy the most affordable/suitable/available one of the two. Polk and RE seem like nice all around subs if you can't afford the ID or JL.

Actually, if I was buying for myself, assuming no cost is spared, I'd probably look into JBL WGTI or perhaps a used Morel Ultimo. These are considered the ultimate SQ subwoofers at this time. The Morel is ridiculously expensive and needs tons of power (1000watts?). It's reportedly better in SQ department than IDQv3, RE SE, and Boston G5. The JBL GTI can be bought for as low as $320 online and has very good sensitivity. 300-600watts would be fine for it (at 3ohms).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.