Ported box question

Participant count
  • Participant list
so if i need a 2.5ft box then i just make it 2.5 and throw in the port?
No. The airspace taken up by the port is NOT counted for net volume. Net volume is just the air in the enclosure that pushes against the port.

For example, if you have an enclosure with 12"x12"x12" internal dimensions and then add a port from the outside of the box (not going into it) the enclosure would still be a 1 cubic foot ported enclosure. But, if you put the port inside the 1 cube enclosure, you're left with a net volume that is less than 1 cube. You wouldn't call it a 1 cube box anymore because the port took up airspace.

No. The airspace taken up by the port is NOT counted for net volume. Net volume is just the air in the enclosure that pushes against the port.
For example, if you have an enclosure with 12"x12"x12" internal dimensions and then add a port from the outside of the box (not going into it) the enclosure would still be a 1 cubic foot ported enclosure. But, if you put the port inside the 1 cube enclosure, you're left with a net volume that is less than 1 cube. You wouldn't call it a 1 cube box anymore because the port took up airspace.
i think he meant 2.5 cu. ft. internal volume. at least thats what i thought he meant //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Couldn't have been said any better. Just account for port volume and subwoofer displacement and then add to your net volume.

thanks for the help. I didnt think my box was gonna work because my port was gonna take up too much room so im fairly relieved to know the port area is taken off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.