pretty sad

Short stroke does not lower Qts just as high stroke does not always mean low motor force with high Qts.

To those of you looking at the post I am quoting above, please do not look at it as everything contained in the paragraph above is false if you are looking for information on car audio subwoofers. Jim is right - motor force is not the most important thing to look at! With small signal parameters high BL can be achieved in multiple ways. However, a very strong motor is not desired and/or wanted depending on the application. For instance, you can easily over-motor a driver to be used in sealed applications. The result will be a driver that has an F3 of 65 Hz in the target size enclosure...aka it won't play low. Will it be loud at 70 or 80 Hz? It could, but it will also have such anemic bottom end that almost 100% of customers will hate it.

And a more compliant (or "looser") suspension will result in a lower Fs.

"Tighten"ing the suspension, or making it less compliant, will change the Qt more than any effects of adding mass will have on the suspension. That is, of course, unless you're talking about increasing the moving mass by 2x with a compliant suspension to begin with [note that is a LOT of mass - as in going from an Mms of 250g to 500g!]. Everything is within limits, not definite.

Once again this is wrong.

Loudspeaker design is all about compromises. And have you ever seen a neo motor? They are tiny in comparison yet still offer very solid motor force. The size of a motor is NOT an indicator of how well the driver will perform in every application. Know and understand what you want and go from there. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Lets see..

Does Low xmax = low Qts? No. Didn't mean it that way. Does using a shorter coil winding(less xmax) given all else is the same = more motor force, and thus a lower Qts? Yup!

Next...

Motor force isn't everyhing because some apps don't require alot? Yea, CAN be true. And then you go on to say that a sealed box sub will have an F3 of like 50-60hz lol...mhmm...Let's look at an example of a sealed box sub: RE XXX. It is a LARGE motor. The compromise here is that it requires alot of backbone to achieve a high enough efficiency with it's LARGE top plate and little coil(even though it's not necesasrily "efficient"). This sub still has a Q that is up there. In this case the sub does not have an F3 of 60 hz sir!

About me saying that a looser suspension raises fs, it happens, common mistake, i accidentally reversed that as i replied quickly.

Adding mass really does not take a whole lot to alter the Q and Fs.

Last, yea, who hasn't heard of Neo? What does this have to do with anything I said? They require little magnetic material to saturate a given top plate size, and weigh a bit less. Sooo? Oh, so when i was talking about the size of the motor, you couldn't realize that i was talking about motor force? It should have been obvious.

Driver design is all about compromises? Did you not read when I wrote that in my reply? Next time read the whole thing.

Is driver force the most important? Well, it isn't going to be necessary to have a NEO motor as strong as the DDz on a lower power handling sub that is designed for SQ, but if you are into SPL daily applications that get loud and produce alot of SPL, motor force is a great thing. Even if you don't need to have all the potential force from a large motor, you could make it a looser gap motor, and or use a coil that isn't very beefy and will not yield a whole lot of inductance. This has been done with alot of subwoofers out there, SQ, SQL, and even SPL subwoofers can benefit from a looser gap "tolorance" reducing power compression aswell.

Lets see..
Does Low xmax = low Qts? No. Didn't mean it that way. Does using a shorter coil winding(less xmax) given all else is the same = more motor force, and thus a lower Qts? Yup!
Once again you are wrong. Flat out, wrong. Let me demonstrate. You said literally “Does using a shorter coil winding(less xmax) given all else is the same = more motor force, and thus a lower Qts? Yup!” Here are two FEA graphs demonstrating two coils of exactly the same winding width, or winding height:

First up we have a driver with a 20mm winding width and a 26mm tall top plate, and a BL of 12.6. Xmax is 17.8mm.

BLcropped.jpg

Second we have a driver with a 18mm winding width and the same 26mm tall top plate (entire gap width is the same as above). Xmax is down to 17.32mm and BL is down to 11.8. This shorter coil actually has less Xmax and less BL than the longer coil.

BLcroppedShortC.jpg

Next...
Motor force isn't everyhing because some apps don't require alot? Yea, CAN be true.
You wrote “Btw: Motor force is the most important, hate to break it to the people who repeat lines like: if only motor force was everything.” …in your previous post.

And then you go on to say that a sealed box sub will have an F3 of like 50-60hz lol...mhmm...Let's look at an example of a sealed box sub: RE XXX. It is a LARGE motor. The compromise here is that it requires alot of backbone to achieve a high enough efficiency with it's LARGE top plate and little coil(even though it's not necesasrily "efficient"). This sub still has a Q that is up there. In this case the sub does not have an F3 of 60 hz sir!
About me saying that a looser suspension raises fs, it happens, common mistake, i accidentally reversed that as i replied quickly.

Adding mass really does not take a whole lot to alter the Q and Fs.
The example you just provided and the two semi-apologies contradict everything you said in your prior post. The XXX example is a good one about short coils being utilized for small boxes but not so much on low Qts being good for everything as you have previously eluded to.

Last, yea, who hasn't heard of Neo? What does this have to do with anything I said? They require little magnetic material to saturate a given top plate size, and weigh a bit less. Sooo? Oh, so when i was talking about the size of the motor, you couldn't realize that i was talking about motor force? It should have been obvious.
Saying one thing and meaning another are difficult, if not impossible, to read into…especially on the internet. You did say

“This is why lower line subs with smaller motors are usually geared towards sealed boxes, because to get a decently low Fs and power handling the Q will be on the high side because the motor isn't strong enough…”
Not all small motors are “weak.”
Driver design is all about compromises? Did you not read when I wrote that in my reply? Next time read the whole thing.
I did read the whole thing. You were on your soap box about very strong motors (ie, low Qts) being the focal point of woofer design. You said

Shooting for a low Q is always the thing to have in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The X would be top of the line. lol

All jokes aside. The kickers can get very loud if you want them to. Of course they require some room, unless you want to burp them, then it is a whole other game.
Go ahead and say it, kickers ****. Yes they will get loud, but like you said, you need some major airspace, relatively.

my friend had an l7 15 running off a dx1000.1. i have an sa-12 also running off a dx1000.1. hes blown 4 of them i've blown 0 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif i

I'm running a cvx 12 as a winter beater. Its hooked up to an amp that does 934rms before box rise. The box is 1.85cu/ft tuned to 32.5hz and it sounds surprisingly pretty good. It does get a little stinky after some sub 30hz test tones but that isn't very often. I'm not a kicker fan bu it performs how I want it to, with heavy authority from 45hz down to the mid 20s.

Once again you are wrong. Flat out, wrong. Let me demonstrate. You said literally “Does using a shorter coil winding(less xmax) given all else is the same = more motor force, and thus a lower Qts? Yup!” Here are two FEA graphs demonstrating two coils of exactly the same winding width, or winding height:
First up we have a driver with a 20mm winding width and a 26mm tall top plate, and a BL of 12.6. Xmax is 17.8mm.

BLcropped.jpg

Second we have a driver with a 18mm winding width and the same 26mm tall top plate (entire gap width is the same as above). Xmax is down to 17.32mm and BL is down to 11.8. This shorter coil actually has less Xmax and less BL than the longer coil.

BLcroppedShortC.jpg

You wrote “Btw: Motor force is the most important, hate to break it to the people who repeat lines like: if only motor force was everything.” …in your previous post.

The example you just provided and the two semi-apologies contradict everything you said in your prior post. The XXX example is a good one about short coils being utilized for small boxes but not so much on low Qts being good for everything as you have previously eluded to.

Saying one thing and meaning another are difficult, if not impossible, to read into…especially on the internet. You did say Not all small motors are “weak.”

I did read the whole thing. You were on your soap box about very strong motors (ie, low Qts) being the focal point of woofer design. You said
About your testing of the BL. Use a much better example such as a coil that isn't So close to it's xmax.

Yea i will admit that I wrote things on a soap box sort of, like when i said: Motor force is the most important, hate to break it to the people who repeat lines like: if only motor force was everything.

That line was not fully serious, but it actually is. Half serious I guess. What i was getting at was how easily it is to swap out soft parts for a given motor and totally redesign a sub, changing it's specs. Well, swapping out parts is nothing but the motor actually drives it all and you having a motor with plenty of potential force is a good thing for us bass heads. The first subwoofers I have used/owned were smaller motor subs, very generic. After learning to build subwoofers, do you think I would want to add a couple of "pucks" to a walmart subwoofer for more coil clearance and throw a 2.3" WW coil or something in it for more xmax? The Q would in fact be too high in this case unless I had a pretty light moving mass, soft suspension, or similar. Power compression would also make more power handling futile.

Alright, you also highlighted how I was getting at a Low Q being the most important or the best compromise or whatever you were thinking but of coarse not. If you re-read it and think about what I said, what I was getting at was that it can actually be tough to achieve a low enough Q whenever you are designing subwoofers. I have used 9" OD motors that had the results of a high Fs(50 hz or so IIR), and had a Q in the high .5-.6s(I cannot remember the exact results). For a motor that large and the average gap I had to work with and what my goal was it wasn't good enough. It was due to the coil I used which was not very beefy in the gap.

The point was that soft parts can be changed on any motor, beefy or not, in order to get paramaters that you can work with, but the motor force itself is the true limiting factor for what you can do with the subwoofer. Like i've said, No i'd rather not have an fs of 60hz on a walmart sub in order to make sure the Q does not shoot over .6-.7 or so while redesigning one, with more motor force you would be open to lowering the FS considerably allowing more mass and excursion then then a weaker, and smaller motored sub(in the case of a smaller motored sub I am talking about a motor with say one magnet of clearance for instance, this would not include Neo as i am referring to a "lower level motor")

Example of what i'm getting at and the OT: The L7, the suspension is decently compliant, if it were not then the Q of that sub would not be where it's at. It's also rated at a power level that i don't recall, say 1krms, reguardless of power compression you have to think about how it's limited to around that power rating compared to a larger or stronger motored sub(and please don't quote and get off again about how i am claiming that a larger motor = stronger one, lol, please) which is due to the suspension not beeing very "tight". In this case, I am talking about the mechanical power limit instead of the thermal one. Yes, the box also combines as a suspension, and other things we dont need to mention, reguardless, it adds mechanical power handling, BUT, these subwoofers require large enclosures, the Qts really ain't so high, its in the .4s IIRC. The larger cone area gives a higher VAS in comparison to a smaller cone area and same suspension is why they need large boxes. If I wanted more mechanical power handling then I could "stiffen" the subwoofer up(would also lower the VAS) However as you know, the Qts would also jump up after doing this which is counter-intuitive in utilizing a smaller enclosure. Anyway, kicker obviously designed the subwoofer with the mainstream customers in mind, and the general mainstream power handling peak is like 1kw or so for the Top of the line woofers offered from these brands. So, what did kicker do? after all the R&D they figured out that the size motor that they are using works fine with the soft parts to create a subwoofer with parameters within app.

Basically, I prefer a high powered subwoofer that does fine under power, I enjoy the compromise of a subwoofer that uses power to get loud instead of efficiency. The last lines about the L7 were more towards this thread and what i thought about the OT.

Anyway, I don't like when people say things like: motor force dosn't mean anything, etc...It aint like I could use a smaller, weaker motor to achieve what a larger one can. It just seems that people believe that a smaller ferrite motor(lets point at the top plate, and say std magnets) can do anything. There really is a ceiling and the soft parts will allow you to stay within application spec after some R&D with a given motor, but you cannot expect some "special" surround, cone, spider, etc tooling, to be the end all be all. Motor force may not be everything, but it is very important. This was my original point. I just put it the wrong way, lol It happens when you have to run to work in a few minutes and you are dying to post about something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so serious company owners? Afraid of the internetz?
You all should question why they get up in a dander just from a couple of my posts.
Quite simply Dan -- you are making false claims about our companies. This is our job and we DO take it seriously. And yes... internet forums are part of our job / sales.

Let's look at the facts :

1) In response to a post about the SAE-1000D you claimed to have knowledge about whether I could choose to produce it again -- claiming the factory won't back-stop production... insinuating that I do not produce it simply because "they quit making it" and I have no choice. You are 100% wrong and I provided the reasons / facts about why you are wrong.

2) You also claimed that both Nick and I sell whatever the factories hand us. You are again 100% wrong. I even gave you as much as to agree about stock boards existing and that we've used them in the past, that is a fact, it is also a fact that since then we've tooled up all of our newer Class-D boards... not because the "factory quit making" the old models (every single "stock" board we've ever used is still in production) but in order to make improvements.

So... everything you said originally is completely erroneous and irrelevant. I think everyone on the forum should question why you said anything at all in this thread -- they should also question why it is that you have nothing else to say other than a few "clever" little quips that have no actual bearing on your prior claims or the subject at hand now that we are calling you out about it.

Holy shit, huricaine. Will you please stop before you look any more wee Todd Ed? I don't think I've ever 'met' anyone with such a poor understanding of driver parameters and the ramifications of their respective changes.

Thank you Electrodynamic for taking the time to mop up all the vomit that was spewed forth. People definitely learned something from reading this thread.

This shorter coil actually has less Xmax and less BL than the longer coil.
Shouldn't that be common sense to most? More coil to be affected by the magnetic force and a longer coil means more travel before you reach 70% BL because the coil is simply in the gap longer. Now, that's about all I can tell you about that. I don't know as much as you do (like, not even close I feel), but am I right in that statement?

Shouldn't that be common sense to most? More coil to be affected by the magnetic force and a longer coil means more travel before you reach 70% BL because the coil is simply in the gap longer. Now, that's about all I can tell you about that. I don't know as much as you do (like, not even close I feel), but am I right in that statement?
Makes sense brah

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.