Properly setting "time corrction"

Participant count
  • Participant list
In theory, it should be set in order to advance the signal to the speakers further away from the listener and/or delay the signal to the speakers closer to the listener. This, in effect, makes the listener feel as though they are centered amongst the speakers, all of which being equal distance from the listener. Most people in a vehicle don't even notice this, as no stock setup has TC. Once you have done it properly, however, it makes any non TCd setup sound inferior. For most people, you'd want to set the stage for the driver (maybe centered for driver and passenger if one of your main objectives is to show the vehicle off often, as centering it for the driver would increase the time error in all other parts of the vehicle). Essentially, you add delay to the driver's door speaker, and add advance to each other speaker (smallest advance for next closest speaker, greatest advance for speakers furtherest away [normally sub stage]) until they sound completely balanced. More often than not, a deck with TC will have reading material on how to set it, and I'm sure there are websites with guidelines, but once you start playing with it, and get the feel for it, you'll be able to do the fine adjustments by ear.

A good way to understand what the music should sound like, is to get a good full range song and listen to it in a perfectly balanced environment (say a home theater system in which you can get the speakers identical distances from your ears or a pair of nice headphones). Take that same song to your vehicle and play with the TC until you can replicate the effect.

Thanks... I have set the distance my home theater speakers, this sounds like the same thing then. Do I set it to MY listening position or do I take measurements from the center of the dash?(center of the stage)

AlpineTimeAlignment.jpg

TimeAlignmentEquation.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.