Going active with a non active HU?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mitch86
5,000+ posts

±
Tennessee
After a quick search of the net I cant find much info on active crossovers... I keep seeing a few of the same ones over and over Kicker etc.. What would be a good choice in an active crossover if my headunit isnt capable? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg on the crossover. I just think I can get more for my money running a do-it-yourself mid/tweet combo over a tradition comp set, but have no idea where to start with the crossover!

You need a crossover that goes with your specs on your drivers. If your tweet crosses over at 3000 hz,you need one that goes that high... You just have to need the specs or what the co. recommends for the crossover point.

You need a crossover that goes with your specs on your drivers. If your tweet crosses over at 3000 hz,you need one that goes that high... You just have to need the specs or what the co. recommends for the crossover point.
Isnt the point of active crossovers to be able to adjust the crossover points as fits your application and listening preference?

I've read that. and it verifies my point here: "Now basically what an active crossover gives you the ability to do is choose the crossover points and slopes for your speakers rather than a predetermined crossover slope and points determined by a passive crossover. This is a huge advantage because we all know that each car has different characteristics that can alter a speaker’s response. An active crossover can be used to make up for these discrepancies in a car."

Basically saying a active crossover lets you pick and choose your crossover points and slopes. Thats why I'm trying to find a decent active crossover to use with separate mids/tweets to be able to adjust the points to the drivers likings rather than running them from a passive crossover and being stuck with whatever the crossover is designed for. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

there are a ton of decks that will run you active and some 4 channel amps have active xovers. I have an amp that does it, you want one with two sets of 10x multipliers. you wont get the best sound though because most amps use butterworth or some other junky filters. you can run active with a separate xover too but the more shat you put in the line to the speakers the more noise you have a chance to pick up. a good deck and some solid amps are the way to run active.

there are a ton of decks that will run you active and some 4 channel amps have active xovers. I have an amp that does it, you want one with two sets of 10x multipliers. you wont get the best sound though because most amps use butterworth or some other junky filters. you can run active with a separate xover too but the more shat you put in the line to the speakers the more noise you have a chance to pick up. a good deck and some solid amps are the way to run active.
Was hoping to get away with a cheap external crossover since I already have amp/headunit and everything else. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

alpine 9887
I have a 9847..and not looking to spend $300+ to go active with a HU.

Thanks for the help guys.Any other suggestions on this topic? Currently looking into the cadence crossover but its still a little more than I thought it would cost for a crossover.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.