Pushing more than your alternator can take with an extra battery/cap?

Moofs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I have a tiny car, it has a 70amp alternator and I'll be running a little under 600rms after I finish this build. I'll have the big 3 done in 0g and I have 0g CCA wire for my power wire. So all my wire is more than my system really needs. Either way from what I read my car can probably take around 800-900rms with stock electrical. I planned to run this setup for awhile but in the way future I would consider maybe running a bigger amp and adding a 4 channel for my door speakers depending how things go. Maybe pushing closer to 900-1000rms.

Would this be possible to do reliably if I add a BatCap 400? It seems to be one of the new forum boners and for 220 that seems like a pretty good deal. Plus I hear its kinda of an "incline" install so you dont spend a ton on extra wire.

Is this doable or is that pushing my alternator too far. This is my daily driver so reliability comes first.

BatCap 400

There's no real replacement for a high output alternator but at your power levels I wouldn't worry much. As long as you don't put some huge Class A 4ch monster in your car, you should also be fine.

I mean I'm sure for what I'm running now I'll be fine, but I'm just kinda considering the future. I'm on a college kid budget and being the car cost me a little over a grand. I cant see spending 450-500 on a customer HO alt alone. No places sell a premade HO alt for my car. I mean, my whole setup now cost me 600 total! I know the batcap isnt gonna replace an alt but as long as it does the job and keeps the voltage in the 12's, hopefully 13's, I'll be happy.

If I did upgrade the amps I'd get a bigger D class mono and some kinda 4 channel that puts out around 200-300rms. My front components now are rated at 50 rms and I'd just like to throw some mid bass speakers in the rear along w them around the same power. Nothing too insane for this car.

But then again I might consider upgrading to an AQ HDC while I have this car.

Either way, if anyone else has an opinion on the batcap helping me push around 1000 or so rms, let me know.

Thanks

i have a 2001 honda civic. im running 900 watts from my amp for the sub and like 100 watts to my speakers on my speaker amp. When i hit loud lengthy sub notes my lights do dim but i dont have the big 3 done yet. Im waiting for my ho to come from nations for when im gonna do the big 3. My alt and batt are original with the car also.

those 700cca bats look sick for the price. I guess I could get a relay isolator, the bat for the trunk and some wire. Will probably be around the same cost as the batcap. Maybe a little less.

I'll look more into it when the time comes.

i have a 2001 honda civic. im running 900 watts from my amp for the sub and like 100 watts to my speakers on my speaker amp. When i hit loud lengthy sub notes my lights do dim but i dont have the big 3 done yet. Im waiting for my ho to come from nations for when im gonna do the big 3. My alt and batt are original with the car also.
Your lights dim because the system voltage drops...doing the big 3 won't necessarily change that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Your lights dim because the system voltage drops...doing the big 3 won't necessarily change that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Thats why i am doing the big 3 and Putting a 210 amp ho alternator at the same time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just get a cheap deep cycle from sears, auto-zone, pep boys, wal mart, etc. WIll hold you up to 1500W no problem.

Really HO alternators only go so far. All the super power cars use banks of batteries not banks of alternators.

Thats why i am doing the big 3 and Putting a 210 amp ho alternator at the same time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
That will definitely help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

don't add a second battery/batcap, that alternator won't cut it. a slightly larger single battery will help with dimming/voltage loss. ultimately, before you decide on any upgrades to your electrical system, install your system first, then go from there. even though there are general rules of thumbs on many things, ultimately, it depends on the exact vehicle, the amps and subs, and more importantly, your listening habits. 1k watts with contant high levels of bass music will be a much different situation from 1k watts from a person who listens to classical music at moderate levels.

Just read the title too lazy to read the thread at all not even OP, however I'll say this. If you have extra batteries that can help your system performance, it probally will if you are lacking in electrical. Your alternator isn't being pushed more than it can give theres only 2 possible situations 1: your alternator is keeping your battery charged 2: your alternator is not keeping your battery charged. If car/system has been working for a week or so then you don't have to worry about discharging, what you will have to worry about is that working an alternator really hard will shorten it's life, also if you want more power you will want to consider a HO alt. More batteries should help your system performance, it will not however be a replacement for a HO alt. Your charge/discharge rate will stay the exact same.

I understand batteries dont replace a HO alt but thats not an option. At least not for this car. Not worth getting an alt that will rival the cost of all my equipment combined. I just want to know if adding the 2nd battery will let me reliably run around 1000-1200rms. Prob more around 1000.

Also, wont I need to relay isolator? I thought just hooking up two different sized batteries drain one of them super fast.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.