questions about tuning frequency

Participant count
  • Participant list
so im pretty new to the whole car audio thing and im trying to build my first sub box. ive been a little overwhelmed with all the info out there and many places ive looked give me different answerers. ive read a little about tuning frequency but once again its all pretty new to me so if anyone out there can clear up what thats all about that would appreciated. so basically the big question i got is what would be the BEST tuning frequency for my subs and how do i figure that out. i have 2 12" phoenix gold xenon x12d4's with a kenwood excelon kac-x811d amp. If it makes a difference or not its going into a 1994 mustang. any help/clarifying would be very much appreciated

What do you want to achieve?

Best possible Sound Quality or just as loud as possible. A higher freq will allow higher SPL, but a lower freq will sound better, but will output much less spl than a higher freq.

You must choose grasshopper.

im looking for best sound quality. my plan is to build a vented box. i was also wondering if anyone out there knew the best frequency for those particular subs or where i could at least find that information out. i got the subs used so i dont have any user manual or anything for them and cause the pg discontinued them there is no info on their site about them.

the parameters for those subs are bound to be around on the internet somewhere. that being said, avoid the "tuning frequency" internal debate you are having. go to: YouTube - ‪HexiBase's Channel‬‏ first, watch it 2x then if you have any questions watch it 2 more times. after you've watched it a few times, come back in and let's see what kind of questions you have then....and how we can help you.

btw, yes, the vehicle you have has pretty much EVERYTHING to do with it.

I dont totally agree with you Because while you are right that by itself it means little when you look at it in the big picture it does have a meaning If i stick a box in my truck tuned to 50 htz it will perform totally different than one at 35 htz. It is a important in that it will help you get close to the performance you want. Over time people learn what sounds good in different vehicles and can use the tuning to repeat that performance

check out the video i requested the OP to check out. note the 4 different response curves. those are measured in two different vehicles at two different locations in each. all 4 were using the same enclosure, just oriented in two different directions. each curve, if applied to a standard box modeling program would give the user a false sense of where the boxes were "tuned". moreso, they would suggest that there were actually 4 different enclosures, simply because they cannot account for the acoustic footprint of the vehicle the enclosures are in. there are applications where someone needed a specific subwoofer to have a particular bottom end in a specific vehicle, and the enclosure it took to reach the target response was physically tuned to 65Hz, yet had enormous output at 27Hz in the listener's vehicle. it's just a byproduct of useful statistics.

we all know that if you take your box (whatever it is) and turn it around and move it 4" closer to the front bumper....that it will sound different than the way you had it. a totally different response curve. after that test, we all still know that the box is the same and the "tuning frequency" of the port is the same.

if you turn the box 90 degrees in any direction, the response curve changes again and the tuning frequency of the port remains the same. take that very box and put it in your buddy's tahoe and do the same experiment. different response curves with every change in location and orientation.

that is because we have effectively changed the shape of the waveguide/chambers between the enclosure and the listener. so the tuning frequency is as it always has been, merely an indicator of where minimal cone excursion will be measured. response has nothing to do with it once you take it from the environment in which it was calculated........infinite field....1w/ 1 meter away. no floor to sit on, no roof above you, no walls on either side. useless parameters.

the parameters for those subs are bound to be around on the internet somewhere. that being said, avoid the "tuning frequency" internal debate you are having. go to: YouTube - ‪HexiBase's Channel‬‏ first, watch it 2x then if you have any questions watch it 2 more times. after you've watched it a few times, come back in and let's see what kind of questions you have then....and how we can help you.
btw, yes, the vehicle you have has pretty much EVERYTHING to do with it.
Good god man, dont confuse him any further. Why on earth would you throw a wrench into his scattered brain as it is? You just made it worse. DUMB

that's like saying: "don't bother teaching a child more than one language at a time, they are too young to get it, you'll make them a blabbering idiot". or maybe: "let's wait until 4th grade to have our son (who dreams of being a MLB player) start playing baseball.

did i say something that was confusing to HIM or to you? if it was confusing to him, i am more interested than anyone on earth to know how you extrapolated that information from him.

if the video is watched a few times by even a beginner, it is pretty self explanatory. tuning frequency is just a stat that indicates where minimal piston excursion will be measured (in Hz).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.