Quick Car Battery question

Participant count
  • Participant list

kdc_619
10+ year member

I'm going to be upgrading to 2 FI SSD 12s as soon as they're shipped to me. Not wanting to put the stress of the 2000 watt hifonics amp I'm going to order to run them on my stock car battery, I'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking at this XS Power D3400 and The Kinetik 1800. The XS Power battery has 1000 cranking amps while the Kinetik has 1900... I live in Texas now and this winter it got pretty cold so I want to make sure the battery I get will start my car no problems. Can anyone explain the cranking amps difference to a noob here? Ive never had to replace the battery under the hood, I've only added a battery in the trunk. The price difference is about 100$ with the Xs being more expensive despite having less cranking amps so that's why I'm asking.

Ok what kind of vehicle?? As far as cranking amps go anything over 800 is plenty to start a car or truck.. If you have a diesel truck you need more.

I always add a batt if possible. Put a good starting batt under the hood and add an xs or kenitic to the trunk and your done.

But to tell you for sure how many cranking amps you will need we need to know what vehicle

Ive been running Orileys Super Start Extreme AGM batts that have a 3yr free replacement,and prorated after that for $143 without a core..Excellent power and cranking voltage during the last two winters.Group 78 I believe

Ok what kind of vehicle?? As far as cranking amps go anything over 800 is plenty to start a car or truck.. If you have a diesel truck you need more.
I always add a batt if possible. Put a good starting batt under the hood and add an xs or kenitic to the trunk and your done.

But to tell you for sure how many cranking amps you will need we need to know what vehicle
It's a 2004 mustang gt. I was thinking of running a smaller Xs power in the trunk for my 4 channel amp and the larger Xs or Kinetik under the hood for the large 2000 watt amp

Ok 04 mustang is the 4.6 right?? If so look for a navigator alt you might have to take yours off and match it up but should be easy to find a 180-200 amp stock replacement . Napa offers a 180 amp delco for the 4.6 for 183$...

Under the hood a good cranking batt as mentioned above and in the back 2 dekas... As far as bang for the buck get the 180-200a alt 185$ and 1 good batt under the hood and 1 really good (xs,kinetic,deka) in the back and you are good.

My wife's car (rodeo) had 180a alt and 2 yellow tops and that powered 3600rms with hardly any voltage drop...absolutely 0 light dimming

Looked around and I don't have a 4.6 alt but there are a ton of reputable alt builders that offer 180 amp alts for under 200$ with a good warranty .. You run a 180a alt and a couple of good batts and as long as you have big 3 done up with 1 OT you will be golden. Bout the same money as buying a 3400 batt lol they are damm proud of those batts..

Just remember that whatever batt you put in the car needs to be sealed or a gel... Would not want that mustang to blow up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.