Quick system design help, first aftermarket upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chuck2001

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all, new here !

We bought a 2022 Hyundai Kona as a second car with the stock audio system.

No amp (headunit), 2 components speakers (6.5") in front with separate tweeters (which do next to zero), and 2 6.5" on the rear doors, no sub.

I'd like to do a good value build from there. I don't listen to hiphop, a little EDM, but much more rock, some pop, indies, etc... I prefer clarity, soundstage over boomy base.

Called a reputable shop around (Fortin auto radio in Montreal) and suggested putting a Kenwood XR901-5 with a downfiring Audison APBX10DS in the trunk. With install and wires, harness, etc...2,500 loonies so about 1.9k USD. I found it a little overkill with stock speakers and quite costly.

I'm wondering if it's possible to do better value overall with that similar amount $.

Do you think this setup is more "rounded" / what do you recommend ? I want to keep the stockhead unit, keeping components before selling the car later.

- Amp : Kenwood X802-5 (w/ sub remote control knob)
- Sub : Kicker 48CDF104 (easy to remove if I need trunk space)
- Speakers : JL C1-650 all around (component in front + speakers in back)

It's a "budget" build as it's our second car and don't use that much.
We have the Bowers&Wilkins in the X5 which sound decent.

Worth it to install the speakers only myself ? Looks pretty much plug and play...but I guess the wires will be changed when installing the amp ?
I don't want to fiddle with wires / stock headunit myself...

I upgraded my speaker, when I started my upgrade. It made a lot of difference. Added a Polk audio subwoofer and amplifier later. look for a reasonably priced subwoofer and amplifier. If you have a Best Buy near you, contact them for an install price. Many stereo shops have huge markups on equipment and installation. After getting exorbitant quotes from them, I started my research, and did my own install.

I upgraded my speaker, when I started my upgrade. It made a lot of difference. Added a Polk audio subwoofer and amplifier later. look for a reasonably priced subwoofer and amplifier. If you have a Best Buy near you, contact them for an install price. Many stereo shops have huge markups on equipment and installation. After getting exorbitant quotes from them, I started my research, and did my own install.

Thanks for the tips

So I went a step above like you suggested, so far I ordered :

Amp Kenwood XR901-5
Sub Audison APBX 10 DS

Bunch of wires, 4awg power and ground, 12awg speaker sub wire, deadening stuff, and electrical connectors.

Plan is to do a speaker input connection (T-connection) to the amp and backfeed stock speaker wires using a doubled 9-wire line.

Only thing I'm unsure is component upfront and maybe coax in the back.

I'm leaning toward Polk Audio DB 6502 / DB652, better than C1-650 ?

Thanks for the tips

So I went a step above like you suggested, so far I ordered :

Amp Kenwood XR901-5
Sub Audison APBX 10 DS

Bunch of wires, 4awg power and ground, 12awg speaker sub wire, deadening stuff, and electrical connectors.

Plan is to do a speaker input connection (T-connection) to the amp and backfeed stock speaker wires using a doubled 9-wire line.

Only thing I'm unsure is component upfront and maybe coax in the back.

I'm leaning toward Polk Audio DB 6502 / DB652, better than C1-650 ?
i have no experience with component speakers. Maybe someone else can help in this area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...