rear stage vs front stage

dmoney68m8
10+ year member

tampa
well let me start off by saying i like to listen to rap music, i like hard hittting bass but i also like it to sound good.

i guess what i would like to know is if it would be beneficial for the sq considering the type of music i like to listen to if i were to have a large rear stage with many lows and mids and highs increase towards the front stage

like this for example:trunk 2 12's rear deck 6x9 coaxial rear kick panel 2 8's front kicks 6'5

s front door 5.25's front door tweeters on axis front apillars tweeters on axis

as oppose to having almost completely no rear stage which i've heard is better for sq

for example: trunk 2 12's front kick 6.5's front door 5.25's front door tweeters on axis(maybe maybe not) front apillars tweeters on axis

i know what sounds good to one person may sound like sh*t to another person but if you listened to the music i did which would you prefer?

the reason i am posting this is i am very unhappy with my current system which if you look at my galllery i'm sure you'll see why and i would like to figure out exactly what i am going to try to do with it

p.s. i apologize if this is the wrong thread for this type of discussion if necessary i will move to another thread

What exactly is it that you do not like about your system?

Either way, I dont see a need for that many speakers in your car (in your examples). But, maybe thats just me. The way I look at rear fill is: if your not in it for all out SQ with staging, imaging, blah blah; then, you can run rears to the point where it sounds good to you. But if youre trying to have an accurate stage, the rear fill will need to be properly implemented (time alignment, bandpass....) I say start out with a nice set of comps up front in properly sealed and deadened doors with your subs and see if your satisfied or if something feels...."empty" behind you. Then, go from there. Remember SQ is all about that accurate front stage, so focus on this the most and just use the rear fill to complement it.

Hope I helped //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That is probably way too many speakers. More than necessary at least. You would benefit way more by purchasing one nice pair of components and give them ample power. A well powered set of comps can be more than loud enough if installed and powered correctly. Deadening your door panels would also be a wise decision. If you are not terribly concerned about sound stage at this point, rear speakers are perfectly fine as well.

what exactly is it that you do not like about your system?

i cant get anything to sound right on it i mean it's probably because i have everything stock except the subs and also am in desperate need of some dynamat cause when i really crank it it can get hard to breath, but it's just kind of agravating so i keep trying to think of ways to fix it, and trying to save up the money to do it while i'm bored out of my mind drawing up all these crazy schematics and plans for my system.

thanks for the input though

and oh as to why so many speakers i just really want to make a lot of noise but i don't want it to sound like sh*t when i'm making it

As said before you'd most likely be better off with a nice set up front set up properly vs speakers everywhere. Get a nice comp set, deaden everything and possibly EQ it to your likings. If this doesn't do what you want you can add speakers from there.

that's probably what i'll end up doing i just want everything to be perfect and i keep coming up with all these crazy ideas that sound great when i think of them but really they're not all that great

that's probably what i'll end up doing i just want everything to be perfect and i keep coming up with all these crazy ideas that sound great when i think of them but really they're not all that great
Lol. You never know, you may prefer your ideas to what we are suggesting. But it will be much easier and cost effective to keep it simple and go from there. Wouldn't it be great to just have 1 nice set of speakers and get the sound you want. On the other hand it wouldn't be so great to install 6-8 speakers and still not like what youre hearing.

I don't get why people say a rear stage is pointless my rear stage blends so well that if your eyes are closed and just the mids/highs are playing it would be hard to pick out, its all in the processing and time alignment of the speakers in my opinion

Hehe, I like how this is in the "Advanced" SQL/SPL discussion instead of the General Discussion or Speakers sections.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

An amplified front stage should be your top priority. Having 100W++ going to a set of good quality components is going to be night and day different. Then you can upgrade your rear speakers later on down the road.

Rear fill is a personal preference. Some people hate it, try to act like rear fill is going to cancel out your whole front stage, etc. Its not like rear fill is a 5000lb gorilla in the back seat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I like a little rear fill with most of the sound faded to the front and most of the high end cut off.

I don't get why people say a rear stage is pointless my rear stage blends so well that if your eyes are closed and just the mids/highs are playing it would be hard to pick out, its all in the processing and time alignment of the speakers in my opinion
Not a clue. I would assume because added rear fill makes getting the front stage right that much harder. Especially without the proper tools.

Not a clue. I would assume because added rear fill makes getting the front stage right that much harder. Especially without the proper tools.
Are you agreeing with me because I feel like you have a pretty good understanding of what the aoundstage is, then again.sound stage is up to the person listening, some people like it front of them l, me personally I like my aoundstage ear level in the center of the vehicle. Again the processing is key

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.