RF created a DD Z sub killer?

I didn't say they used the same build house as Boss. I said their marketing tactics are similar. In the case of the new T1 having a smaller motor than my 8
well I guess we were never in disagreement as I never said they didn't share marketing strategies. I was mainly responding to the other guy.

I really do hope the new T3 performs well and it may be a step for RF to put out some products that really appeal to car audio enthusiasts even if they have to fund some of their r&d and keep their investors happy with marketing BS on their lower lines.

well I guess we were never in disagreement as I never said they didn't share marketing strategies. I was mainly responding to the other guy.
I really do hope the new T3 performs well and it may be a step for RF to put out some products that really appeal to car audio enthusiasts even if they have to fund some of their r&d and keep their investors happy with marketing BS on their lower lines.

I don't think RF even knows what's going on. Apperently according to the FB guy their engineer didn't know a woofer has held 60k watts. First Z to break 180. I still don't think he believes it.

Gotta love burp machines with exotic one note boxes. I never understood burp competitions. One day I may build one for shits and giggles to see what I post, but for now I drive 12+ hrs a week and I enjoy good sounding music.

If it was their lead sub engineer that would be sort of worrisome that they don't know info about the current record holder, but again without proof. *Shrug*

Gotta love burp machines with exotic one note boxes. I never understood burp competitions. One day I may build one for shits and giggles to see what I post, but for now I drive 12+ hrs a week and I enjoy good sounding music.
If it was their lead sub engineer that would be sort of worrisome that they don't know info about the current record holder, but again without proof. *Shrug*
He said sub engineer. Didn't say if it was the lead. It was on the main page around March time frame. Can't remember what post but it was getting trolled. RFs Facebook guy was making fun of some really good gear. They are ban happy on that page.

And efficiency. I also don't think RFs are regulated. Reading the spec sheet close, they look just like a 1ohm amp running at .5. I'm sure that helps with that dynamic birth sheet rating(another trick for noobs)
Not sure how dramatic the "efficiency" is for having regulated power supply. Also efficiency is one of those dodgy specs that can look really amazing or really bad depending how you measure it. You will virtually never see the published efficiency numbers out of most amps.

The other disadvantage I see is that they don't make giant ones.
If they do, what is the biggest amp with a regulated power supply?

Can you give me a list of their many advantages? I'm interested in them, and may start a new thread about regulated power supplies if there is enough information/interest/discussion.

I know this thread got a bit off the original topic
Regulated puts out consistent power at any input voltage (of course at some point on the low side they generally power down). NOT to be confused with things like the JL slash amps that modify output voltage into lower impedance loads so that they can not double power as you half impedance:

Audio amplifier power supply design - Part 1: Power supply types & transformer considerations | EE Times

Seems most of the drawbacks are mainly from the standpoint of production cost and difficulty in engineering.

And efficiency. I also don't think RFs are regulated. Reading the spec sheet close, they look just like a 1ohm amp running at .5. I'm sure that helps with that dynamic birth sheet rating(another trick for noobs)
I don't think RF even knows what's going on. Apperently according to the FB guy their engineer didn't know a woofer has held 60k watts. First Z to break 180. I still don't think he believes it.
60K? With what amps? Was this power number clamped or just the rating of the amps used? That number sounds very suspect to me.

[quote name='hispls']60K? With what amps? Was this power number clamped or just the rating of the amps used? That number sounds very suspect to me.[/QUOTE]

When Alan Dante broke 180 with a single DDZ 18, he only used 4 Stetsom 7KDs. So probably a lot less power than 28k unless he wired low... but I doubt those Stetsoms would like that.

Assuming that's what @NoLoud4U was referring to.

[quote name='SounDrive']When Alan Dante broke 180 with a single DDZ 18, he only used 4 Stetsom 7KDs. So probably a lot less power than 28k unless he wired low... but I doubt those Stetsoms would like that.

Assuming that's what @NoLoud4U was referring to.[/QUOTE]

I thought they where 14kds. Alan and Butler did it

[quote name='SounDrive']When Alan Dante broke 180 with a single DDZ 18, he only used 4 Stetsom 7KDs. So probably a lot less power than 28k unless he wired low... but I doubt those Stetsoms would like that.

Assuming that's what @NoLoud4U was referring to.[/QUOTE]

I actually owned one of the Stetsom 7K's from that build at one point so I'm pretty confident that's what he was running when he broke 180. Real world output at that power level is likely a good bit less than 7K each. Furthermore AFAIK it was a PAIR of 18's with 2 amps per woofer since DB-Drag does not allow quad coils.

I actually owned one of the Stetsom 7K's from that build at one point so I'm pretty confident that's what he was running when he broke 180. Real world output at that power level is likely a good bit less than 7K each. Furthermore AFAIK it was a PAIR of 18's with 2 amps per woofer since DB-Drag does not allow quad coils.
That first 180 was with a single Z on those 4 amps according to a few different, pretty reliable sources. I know he's added more subs since then though. I would assume there was something similar to a MaxxLink being used in that build to strap the amps.

Regulated puts out consistent power at any input voltage (of course at some point on the low side they generally power down). NOT to be confused with things like the JL slash amps that modify output voltage into lower impedance loads so that they can not double power as you half impedance:

Audio amplifier power supply design - Part 1: Power supply types & transformer considerations | EE Times

Seems most of the drawbacks are mainly from the standpoint of production cost and difficulty in engineering.
Is the RF 2500.1 the largest amp to use a regulated power supply? Can you give me any more info about JL's design that is not as affected by impedance changes?

Is the RF 2500.1 the largest amp to use a regulated power supply? Can you give me any more info about JL's design that is not as affected by impedance changes?
The power amps are not regulated. Power changes over voltage and load.

Rips is regulated. And yes it is effected by impedance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.