RF created a DD Z sub killer?

No. I thought so also.
Make the same power at any load. Honestly.. For single 3 ohm coils is what I think.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

How is it affected by impedance, but will make the same power into any load impedance??

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
How is it affected by impedance, but will make the same power into any load impedance??
Something about the rail voltage. Google JL RIPs and look for the DIYMA post. Manville explains it.

On this forum is there any thread with more than 1 page of posts that doesn't contain a lot of stupid?

It's been a while since I read up on JL RIPS so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a non technical explanation for JL RIPS is that it's not dynamic in the sense it actively corrects for impedance while playing music. Instead when powered on it optimizes for the impedance load it sees initially.

Is the RF 2500.1 the largest amp to use a regulated power supply? Can you give me any more info about JL's design that is not as affected by impedance changes?
Not sure if RF amps use regulated power supply. Do they have different power ratings at 12 or 14V? If so they are not. AFAIK the Zed Minotaur is probably the largest regulated power supply mono amp, and his Leviathan may be the largest overall output. Zapco's premier line uses regulated power supply and I think they have a 400X2 which is a big arse two channel.

Right. Every amp is affected by impedance, but I thought the JL was less affected.
Things like the JL slash amps simply limit the current at lower impedance so that it'll make "the same" power at 1.5-4 ohms. It's likely cheaper to do than to build the amp robust enough to double power when you half impedance. They're good sounding amps though and appear to deliver as advertised.

Is the RF 2500.1 the largest amp to use a regulated power supply? Can you give me any more info about JL's design that is not as affected by impedance changes?
Make the same power at any load. Honestly.. For single 3 ohm coils is what I think.
Most "4 ohm" amps will drive a 3 ohm DCR coil no problem, I've done it plenty with single 3 ohm LMS coils and with my d1.4 ohm coils that I build my sigs with (run in series). You are however rather limited in options of getting power into 4 ohm. There's no cheap options there AFAIK.... then again, most single 3 ohm coil subs really aren't intended for applications with much over 1000W anyway.

Not sure if RF amps use regulated power supply. Do they have different power ratings at 12 or 14V? If so they are not. AFAIK the Zed Minotaur is probably the largest regulated power supply mono amp, and his Leviathan may be the largest overall output. Zapco's premier line uses regulated power supply and I think they have a 400X2 which is a big arse two channel.

Things like the JL slash amps simply limit the current at lower impedance so that it'll make "the same" power at 1.5-4 ohms. It's likely cheaper to do than to build the amp robust enough to double power when you half impedance. They're good sounding amps though and appear to deliver as advertised.
Didn't know the levi was regulated. Would that help for sound quality, or are there other reasons they made it that way?

So the JL is not really making more power at higher impedances, just less power at lower impedances compared to what a normal amp would do?

Didn't know the levi was regulated. Would that help for sound quality, or are there other reasons they made it that way?
So the JL is not really making more power at higher impedances, just less power at lower impedances compared to what a normal amp would do?
All Zed amps forever have used regulated power supply. Stephen believes it's the best sounding/best method. After 35+ years or so designing amps I suspect he's a believer. He has been designing a few amps for some other companies lately (Focal for one and another old-name brand...can't recall which) and I'm not sure if they use regulated, though I expect Focal does anyway. They have some VERY nice and unique features.

Consider pretty much every amp is a constant voltage source (or attempts to be) yes, they should all double power as you half impedance... making the same voltage into any impedance (to the point where they become unstable and blow up of course). So one that cannot deliver more current at the same voltage is being limited.... obviously by design, and it's a great marketing tool, but we can assume that the power supply they put in them would not deliver double power at 2 ohms without failing.

All Zed amps forever have used regulated power supply. Stephen believes it's the best sounding/best method. After 35+ years or so designing amps I suspect he's a believer. He has been designing a few amps for some other companies lately (Focal for one and another old-name brand...can't recall which) and I'm not sure if they use regulated, though I expect Focal does anyway. They have some VERY nice and unique features.
Consider pretty much every amp is a constant voltage source (or attempts to be) yes, they should all double power as you half impedance... making the same voltage into any impedance (to the point where they become unstable and blow up of course). So one that cannot deliver more current at the same voltage is being limited.... obviously by design, and it's a great marketing tool, but we can assume that the power supply they put in them would not deliver double power at 2 ohms without failing.
Not all amplifiers made by Zed use regulated supplies though, right? Just the actual "ZED" brand/labeled amps and some specialty stuff for companies like Focal. Correct?

I know they make tons of other amp's for companies like Hifonics. The Brutus series for sure has an unregulated power supply.

Did you see Taylor's test of a large Taramps amplifier on CACO? (I forget which one it was).

Even when it was unloaded, the output voltage of the amplifier decreased as the frequency got lower. I thought it was very interesting. It was not due to impedance change, because it was without a reactive load.

Not all amplifiers made by Zed use regulated supplies though, right? Just the actual "ZED" brand/labeled amps and some specialty stuff for companies like Focal. Correct? I know they make tons of other amp's for companies like Hifonics. The Brutus series for sure has an unregulated power supply.

Did you see Taylor's test of a large Taramps amplifier on CACO? (I forget which one it was).

Even when it was unloaded, the output voltage of the amplifier decreased as the frequency got lower. I thought it was very interesting. It was not due to impedance change, because it was without a reactive load.

Like all the Zed amps ever. Hifonics was originally his brand and all up to Gen X were his (and regulated power supply). AFAIK everything he ever designed uses regulated power supply, alphasonic, rodek, ESX, Crunch, US Acoustics, Lanzar, Planet Audio, even the very early Boss amplifiers (which were true to form, rated at double what they'd do, but were actually great sounding and bullet proof amps with regulated power supply). Not to be confused with the junk they put under those brand names recently, but when things were made in USA.

Like all the Zed amps ever. Hifonics was originally his brand and all up to Gen X were his (and regulated power supply). AFAIK everything he ever designed uses regulated power supply, alphasonic, rodek, ESX, Crunch, US Acoustics, Lanzar, Planet Audio, even the very early Boss amplifiers (which were true to form, rated at double what they'd do, but were actually great sounding and bullet proof amps with regulated power supply). Not to be confused with the junk they put under those brand names recently, but when things were made in USA.
Doesn't Zed still make new Hifonics though? If not, who does?

Surprised that Lanzar and Boss amps used to have regulated supplies. Not that surprised about planet, because they had some really cool tube amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.