Roof bracing questions

YukonXL04

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, so I have a 05 Acura TL with a DD 9518 on a m2a in 7 cubes at 30hz. I had problems with my rear view mirror falling off the bracket, stupid design. So I jb welded the mirror to it and all was good. Till I was playing the got160s Chevy ridin high lol. Played windshield broke, worst part was around the mirror.

So I need to brace my roof. I'm thinking just layers of deadener probably won't cut it, so figured I would glue some wood up there as well. But I have a sunroof. Not sure how much I can really beef up the front.

Anyone have any ideas? Also think I might put a Chevy mirror or something that might stay better too. What are your mirror solutions?

In my experiences, once the mirror falls of, you will never get it to stay up again.

Ive tried gorilla glue, the special mirror glue etc. Soon as i turn it up loud, down she falls.

I just leave it off now. That mirror isnt legally required in California

In my experiences, once the mirror falls of, you will never get it to stay up again.
Ive tried gorilla glue, the special mirror glue etc. Soon as i turn it up loud, down she falls.

I just leave it off now. That mirror isnt legally required in California
Well the mirror falls off the bracket, bracket stayed atached to the glass. Now I have new glass and new bracket, but the mirror hooks from bottom side of bracket and just pressure held, no set screw or anything

But yea once the bracket comes off the glass, it won't stay on again.

It's not required, but nice to have, only a problem when cranked all the way up. Normal driving it's not a problem

lost my rear view in the 40s, i like wood on the roof over deadner, angle cut fitted sections of 1/2" wood with pl 8x up there and you should be good to go with your application, but hey im drunk right now so be careful

Yea I should be able to kerf some wood on the rear part, depends on the sunroof track, also hope I can fit a piece in front of the sunroof. I'll pull it all apart next week and see what I can do with it.

Yeah, stripper poles are sweet.

Like Chris said, use plywood and PL 8x. Subfloor adhesive works great

Just cut a hole in the plywood for your sunroof

Hey guys so I got the headliner pulled today. Not sure how to brace this. May be just a bunch of deadener? Not really room between the roof and sun roof to add wood. What do you think?

fePDODd.jpg

Oslw76p.jpg

JlEQIht.jpg

U can put some deadener up there but the more the strengthen the roof the more pressure goes to the windshield. Once u 140db+ just leave the mirror off because it will chip/crack windshields

Yea I'm leaving the mirror off. I'll get used to it.

I was worried about making the roof stronger then the flex gets worse on the windshield. I'll just deaden and kill the rattles and recover the headliner.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.