round 3 - Tachomoeter wire for an 05 camry

Participant count
  • Participant list

GreatGeak
10+ year member

Missouri
NOW I can't find the G** D*** Tachometer wire. I've read diagrams that say under the driver side dash...well for one, that's pretty broad. If I knew what the data link connector looked like, or where it was...life would definitely be easier...any help there?

as per before it is an 05 LE 4 cylinder.

I've been probing around with a volt-o-meter that a friend loaned me and I can't for the life of me find it.

To catch you all up to speed. I'm installing a remote start. As of right now the car runs both with and without it, however if I remote start it, it'll will run for about 10 seconds, kill and then try again (a total of 3 times). Diagnostics say that it is because of Low RPM/Tach issue...now since I have not installed the Tachometer sensor yet, that's understandable.

After reading around, apparently that wire is what keeps it on and running, so until I find this wire, I'm a match short of having the perfect cigar.

"Virtual Tach Learning" doesn't seem to be working with the viper I am trying to install...quite frankly though, I'd rather go with the real deal anyway.

Help would be greatly appreciated...honestly if you guys know anything about a DLC in general, I would love some ideas, cause I have no idea what I'm looking for.

THANKS!

GreatGeak/Sam

Switch the remote start to voltage sense. I've never had luck using the tach wire.

Or if it has the ability, just set it to crank for a set amount of time (most DEI remote starts have this feature)

Switch the remote start to voltage sense. I've never had luck using the tach wire.
Or if it has the ability, just set it to crank for a set amount of time (most DEI remote starts have this feature)
My model is a Viper 4103XV, could you be slightly more specific?

I'll search the manual, they mentioned it, but didn't seem to go into detail...I'll re-look it over more thoroughly or course.

My model is a Viper 4103XV, could you be slightly more specific?I'll search the manual, they mentioned it, but didn't seem to go into detail...I'll re-look it over more thoroughly or course.
In the remote start's internal menu you can change certain settings. Your install manual should have a section detailing this but it should look something like this:

1 ENGINE CHECK VIRTUAL TACH (1): When set to “virtual tach” (1) the remote start monitors the cranking voltage of the vehicle and sets it as a reference point. Fifteen seconds after

the crank output sequence the remote start checks the voltage again to

determine if the vehicle is running.

When set to voltage, (2) the unit cranks the starter for the programmed

time and then attempts to sense that the engine is running by detecting

an increase in voltage. If programmed Off (3) the vehicle cranks for

the programmed crank time. The tach setting or voltage setting is not

checked to verify that the car is running. In the OFF setting, if the vehicle

fails to start, the ignition stays on for the run duration. Using tach or

either of the voltage settings is recommended.

When set to Tachometer, (4) the unit references the learned tach signal

to disengage the starter. In addition it will monitor the RPM and shut

down if the engine RPM is too high or too low
Then for the crank time:

4 CRANK TIME—0.6/0.8/1.0/1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0/4.0 Seconds: If Feature 2 is programmed to the voltage sense setting, the crank

time must be set to the appropriate duration. The default setting is 0.6

second. If a different crank time is desired, press the Channel Two

button to advance through the LED Off settings. The unit will flash the

LED to indicate which time is selected. Once the 4.0 second setting is

reached the next press of the Channel Two button will reset the system

to the shortest setting.

dude please dont take this the wrong way but, some ppl need to just go to a shop and take a step back from installing their own ish

good luck

dude please dont take this the wrong way but, some ppl need to just go to a shop and take a step back from installing their own ishgood luck
How very unhelpful. Just because you're not confident enough in yourself doesn't mean the OP can't complete this install. It's really not that difficult especially with the vast knowledge-base like the internet at your disposal.

I installed my first alarm/remote start when I was 17 with no prior experience doing anything of the sort.

How very unhelpful. Just because you're not confident enough in yourself doesn't mean the OP can't complete this install. It's really not that difficult especially with the vast knowledge-base like the internet at your disposal.
I installed my first alarm/remote start when I was 17 with no prior experience doing anything of the sort.
it wasn't that i have responded postivly and supportively in severall of the op's other threads reguarding the same vehicle // started to assit with this thread and changed my mind so I gave the best most sound advice that "I" felt would help this op with this vehicle

way to dump on him and then say good luck.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
^^^^^refer to above

meh...I've needed more help than one post bra. You don't HAVE to help me...but I do greatly appreciate that you have been. ^_^

"I installed my first alarm/remote start when I was 17 with no prior experience doing anything of the sort. "

- I'm 19, with about the same amount of experience...jack sh**

(4) the unit references the learned tach signalto disengage the starter. In addition it will monitor the RPM and shut

down if the engine RPM is too high or too low
The engine starts just fine, so it apparently runs for the proper duration. But the engine dies after like 20 seconds (ish), so it must be an issue with the "voltage" being to high or two low...how would I change that? They mention doing it through a bitwriter...but that's a tool that I need to (but would rather not) purchase.

EDIT:

I read through the manual a couple times, and I think I found the programming menu. I'm going to set it to "voltage/off" and give it another go around tomorrow. I'll post if it worked by early afternoon. I'm fairly confident this is it though...thanks so much for your help bubba...I was convinced the Tach wire was my only option (since virtual tach wasn't doing anything)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.