Sealed enclosure size for 6.5" mid

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flipper245

Senior VIP Member
I'm looking for some advice on enclosure size for my mids. I need to decide now if I need to go bigger. I'll have .3 cuft per side. I can make bigger if I need to. Right now speakers are hertz high energy. Older ones. I cannot find specs but I understand they're designed for infinite baffle mostly so have a higher q. Should I be looking for a driver with a lower q? Enclosures will be well damped and braced. Mids will be crossed over at 100hz most likely. Any insight into car mids in sealed enclosures wound be greatly appreciated.

They are designed to be IB. If you seal them up you will lose all midbass
Any recommendation on a mid that will work well in sealed? I used morel way back in the day and they rocked.is there Anything specific I should be aware of?

Nothing will be ideal in that airspace. Why sealed?
Really? Won't an 8" sub work in half a cube? Why not a 6" in .3? I could go bigger if I needed to. I don't want to do doors. I'm doing kicks because it works well for my car and I can utilize the areas in the subframe to build the enclosure in and dropping the floor a couple inches to get more airspace. Plus I would like to equal out the pathlengths a bit more by having the speakers as far forward as possible. I could get .5 cuft if I needed to.

Subs only play 2 octaves. Totally different design. And they also always work better in more airspace.
Most that have good kicks have them vented to the outside of the car.
Oh. That's basically what I've been doing I guess. Venting into subframe. Trying to block rear wave from coming back into car with glass and foam. Never sounded good in my opinion. I mean I got me by, for a few years but I want quality sound. I think since both sets of home speakers I have, that are in small boxes, sound amazing, I can do the same in my car. Thank you for the input! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Nothing will be ideal in that airspace. Why sealed?
Just checking out a driver made by hybrid audio. It models out with a qtc of .707 in .5cuft. F3 and fb are both 75hz. That sounds promising to me. I think I'll keep my plan of .3 and use the hertz for now. Switch out to a driver more suited to small sealed later if I don't like it and I can extend the enclosure later if needed.

My favorite 6.5" SB Acoustic's Satori's MW16p-4 should do well in the .3 cubes sealed. I planed on putting mine in pods about that size at some point.

Madison sound Quote "For a sealed box try 0.2 cubic foot (5.6 liters) with 50% filling for an F3 of about 88Hz."

My favorite 6.5" SB Acoustic's Satori's MW16p-4 should do well in the .3 cubes sealed. I planed on putting mine in pods about that size at some point.
Madison sound Quote "For a sealed box try 0.2 cubic foot (5.6 liters) with 50% filling for an F3 of about 88Hz."
Nice! Thanks. That driver looks good and cheap. Could use a little more power handling though. I'll do a review of how the enclosures sound like. I'm sure it will take a couple more months to complete though. I plan on treating the inside of the enclosure with acusti-x as well as stuffing it.

Nice! Thanks. That driver looks good and cheap. Could use a little more power handling though. I'll do a review of how the enclosures sound like. I'm sure it will take a couple more months to complete though. I plan on treating the inside of the enclosure with acusti-x as well as stuffing it.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the "power handling". They get plenty loud if your crossing them at 100hz. (loud is relative, I'll rephrase, they get loud enough for me)

Also they just simple sound a fantastic all the way up to 4000hz (and pretty good even beyond that) . Really a great lively dynamic ultra-wide frequency driver with build quality to match.

They are designed to be IB. If you seal them up you will lose all midbass
6_5_kicks.png

Hertz hv165.5L in about .3cuft ^ that 125 is most likely resonance. I didnt deaden or put alot of layers. it was just a quick kick i was curious as to what itd be like.

6_5_kicks.png

Hertz hv165.5L in about .3cuft ^ that 125 is most likely resonance. I didnt deaden or put alot of layers. it was just a quick kick i was curious as to what itd be like.

Awesome thanks! Kinda all over the place. Lol. I'll use that as a bit of a reference when I set my eq. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif My enclosures are going to be pretty solid. It's going to be permanent as it's going right into the body of the car. Most areas will be 3/8 birch sandwiched between layers of fibreglass. I guess nothing is permanent. .

Awesome thanks! Kinda all over the place. Lol. I'll use that as a bit of a reference when I set my eq. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif My enclosures are going to be pretty solid. It's going to be permanent as it's going right into the body of the car. Most areas will be 3/8 birch sandwiched between layers of fibreglass. I guess nothing is permanent. .
Get an external dsp and a mic. Makes all the difference in the world

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Get an external dsp and a mic. Makes all the difference in the world
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Good idea. I guess that's where the graph came from. I knew it would come down to this eventually. Just using an 80prs right now. I like it but it doesn't do much as far as diagnosing does it. I've always relied on my ears but that's allot of time and effort.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.