Second battery question...

ta2ed9783

Senior VIP Member
I have a good starting battery and 1/0 gauge power wire w/ big three in 1/0 also. I am running a Sundown saz1500d v2 and a Fosgate p4004. I have a kinetic h600 and i'm wondering if it would be ok to run it parallel with my start batt for a lil boost for my amps? I have a 90a alternator. My stinger volt meter is showing drop no lower than 12.8 or 12.9 but I was hoping that the lil battery would keep it over 13 volts safely. If not, what size agm battery could I use to replace my start battery with? It is supposedly a group 124f or something like that factory. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm new with the higher power system and electrical upgrading.

Well it would be a couple months before I could save up and get a new alt. Only one I found for my elantra is a 180a and its $300 and some change. But in the meantime, the money I have in paypal is going to two sundown x-8's hopefully beginning of February. So will it be harmful to anything if I do run the lil 600 in parallel? Jus for a month or two?

I believe it handicaps the more powerful battery, if you run a weaker battery in parallel.... or it overcharges the weak one... messes with the voltage regulater or something... lol idk, I just know its frowned upon

If you have it, run it. It won't damage anything t run wet batteries with dry. The only thing that will happen is that the wet battery will rob the float charge of the AGM when they're not in use. And were talking about a few tenths of a volt here so it's not like the wet battery is going to discharge the AGM.

You also don't need an isolator but, I would plan to upgrade the start battery when you can. And you might want to upgrade the alternator too, as it's a bit small for the power you're running.

If you have it, run it. It won't damage anything t run wet batteries with dry. The only thing that will happen is that the wet battery will rob the float charge of the AGM when they're not in use. And were talking about a few tenths of a volt here so it's not like the wet battery is going to discharge the AGM.

You also don't need an isolator but, I would plan to upgrade the start battery when you can. And you might want to upgrade the alternator too, as it's a bit small for the power you're running.

Ok, I went and got the 130a alt and a Kinetic hc600b. Im gonna put it in tomorrow and clamp alt then ill post results or any other questions.

my wet cell batterys tend to rest around 12.6v and my agm batterys tend to want to rest at 12.9 to 13.1

mixing the two together will only bring down the higher resting voltage battery to match the lower.

installing a isolator between front and rear battery will help stop this problem.

also i had a kenetik 600 as a rear battery before - and i totaly think it helped my system by a good bit.

well they r both in now and it made a huge difference! Hardly any more drop. I try to run no lower than 1 ohm loads so I dont have a huge load and this little bit if a boost did exactly what I needed it to. Gonna grab a Kinetic hc1800 for the front and be done with it. Got a couple of X-8's coming soon so I wanna be abke to give em everything this amp can give. I added another fuse before the hc600b so I should be covered.

If someone was to run 2 different AGM batts, would that hurt them at all? Say, a Kinetik 600 and a stock AGM batt (Mopar, I think).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.